Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need some assistance - xtopher
Forum members,

I see a lot of applicants from a lot of schools that tell me they went to one of the best schools in India. I don't know what "best" means as I don't have a unbiased source. I made the following list of what others have told me are top notch schools in India (in no particular order). I'm sure there are more that I missed. Which other schools would you suggest to add to the list?

All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Delhi
Bangalore Medical College, Bangalore
Kasturba Medical College, Manipal
Madras Medical College, Chennai
Christian Medical College, Vellore
Armed Forces Medical College, Pune
Sri Ramachandra Medical College, Chennai
St John's Medical College, Bangalore
Osmania Medical College, Hyderabad
JIPMER, Puducherry
Maulana Azad Medical College, Delhi
-
Rajah Muthiah Medical College, Chidambaram. Recently there is a trend that lot of students are getting matched from this institution.

- Madurai medical college-Madurai- second best in MGR university
- Stanley medical college, Chennai

Thanks myfuture

Also, for all

any on "the list" that should not be there?
xtopher, ask a 100 people this question from India and you will get an answer 1000 different ways. In any case some institutions of repute, some with long history and tradition would be in my opinion

AIIMS
JIPMER
Grant medical college, Mumbai
Seth GS Medical College/KEM Hospital, Mumbai
AFMC, Pune
CMC, Vellore
MAMC, Delhi

This is not an all inclusive list, there may be more..

These colleges listed above are still big. This is my limited input.

One thing to ask the applicant is "was their college a private medical college?" There are a lot of mediocre colleges which are private (non govt funded, or non state funded) which churn out grads after grads but are not up to par with teaching and training. I am sure this will evoke some responses from the audience members, but this is my opinion.
do a survey, best would be defined as % who graduate
MGM MEDICAL COLLEGE INDORE(best medical college of central india)
The names are so long. Do you think if Americans really care? What is the difference b/w medical education in india, china, Russia, South Africa, Ethiopia? Do you think if one is better than another? In my perspective, if the medical schools are outside US, they are put on the same footing per say.
oxford graduate would grap one's attention
Thanks for the replys.

The issue is a numbers issue.
For IMG applicants we receive the largest number from India.
It is helpful to know which schools are the "top" schools. The top applicant from the top school is going to stand out.
what about med schools from other asian countries? do you have a preference for india? what about philippines, thailand, singapore, japan, china?

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »