Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my chances in psychiatry - trendydoc
hello everyone. 2004 grad. 82,77.passed,76 all first attempt. over 1 year externship in US(excellent LOR),6 mo observership in FP, 1 year gp experience from India n 6 mo house job in peds from india. trying desperately for some experience in Psych. H4 currently but might have ead in a few months.
what r my chances in psych?
pl everyone , what do u think?
pl guys i am freaking out
kindly give me an honest answer. is there even a point in trying or shud I just give up?
repost

I don't interview for psych but see http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2009v3.pdf psychiatry section.
For Psych the Mean USMLE Step 1 score for IMGs who matched was 207, for those who didn't was 198
The Mean USMLE Step 2 score for IMGs who matched was 209, for those who didn't was 199.

Also see page 244 and 246 for more details.
50 people matched with step 2 scores in your range - that is 3% of those who sent in a rank list for psych (1500 applicants).
thanx
hi,

You will get residency, apply as many as you can and keep options broad. People who are graduated in 2002 got the residency with scores similar to yours.

Best of luck
It will be tough with ur scores and yog without giving u false hope and u don't have any exp in pay which makes it even harder
trendydoc,

dont be discouraged. I am a pg y-1 resident in psych currently and was looking for answers on this forum last year.

I am a 2001 grad and matched, so it is not just the yog but the complete profile which matters.
my advise to you would be to get some psych observership exp and letters..even if it is in outpatient clinic, try both private practitioners and community mental health centers.... (inpatient observership is hard to get)
get something asap and try to get a letter after 2 weeks since you need to apply on sept 1st.

us psych lors do help not only in getting iv's but also during residency since you will learn how to interview and talk to pts.

good luck.
trendydoc,
leave your email.
i can get you in psyche externshipdef for free.
apply for family practice also. your scores are particularly good for family practice. you wont match to psych unless you have substantial experience in psych.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »