Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions on connections: xtopher or anybody pls. - fambondi
I have a question regarding application to programs. For someone who has 'decent' scores, and an average profile (no attempts, recent grad etc), I know it is generally recommended that we should apply 'broadly' and use the IMG friendly list of programs. My question is this: what are the odds that one will get an interview if you do not have 'connections' to that program? In other words, must we have connections to all (or most) programs we are applying to in order to get an interview offer?

I am interested in IM, and need visa sponsorship.
Connections to a particular program are helpful especially if you have done clinical experience there.
If someone I know well tells me about a candidate I will look at them closely.
I have done the same for candidates that I have had as observers and it helps to a point. Candidates that I supported have matched and candidiates I have supported have not. The strength of the application trumps all.
xtopher -- to what extent do scores contribute to this strength..

I have a pretty solid experience in psych (observerships/externships/research ~2yrs) and a 2008 grad. But my scores are low-average - 82/91/91/cs all 1st attempt/gc.

Now I want to keep a backup as well. Do you think applying to IM programs with my creds make any sense?
@ Xtopher: Thank you very much for the input. I do not have 'strong connections' and it worries me that applying to programs even with what might be considered a decent/strong application' may be futile if you do not have ties to that program.

If your application is not flagged for closer scrutiny, it may be lost in the filtering process hence the oft quoted- "meeting program requirements does not guarantee an interview".

The odds are greatly stacked up against us... smh :-|
@ cycle
Look at the NRMP 2009 stats on psych and IM - you can gauge your probability of matching with an 81 on step 1.
There are people who match with 81 but they likely had the type of experience that you have. Psych has lower step 1 avergaes but fewer spots. IM has more spots but has higher mean scores.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »