Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
...just finished Step 2 -
HB

I just finished taking the Step 2 and I am now ready to answer your questions as best as I can. I also want to thank everyone for sharing information in this forum and to thank Dr. Russo for setting-up this website.
Gary

HB, Can you please post some questions here... if you can remember... Thanks, Gary.
Siva

Hi HB,

Congratulations!!! Can you please write in detail how your exam was? Which topics are concentrated , what type of Q's and distribution of subjects? I have still 10 days to go, can you give me any last minute advice!!!

Thanks
HB

The exam that I took was divided as follows: internal medicine 35%, pediatrics 30%, obstetrics/gynecology 25%, psychiatry 5%, public health/preventive medicine 4%, statistics 1%. NB: I got a lot of questions that were really internal medicine but superimposed on pediatric patients. The internal medicine topics that I could remember are - MI, diabetes, membranous glomerulopathies, acute renal failure, multiple infectious diseases, and other cardiovascular pathologies. Make sure that you study differential diagnoses of the different diseases given a general presenting complaint. There were a lot of gynecology problems (bleeding, breast CA, etc.). Schizophrenia is high yield.

Kaplan, NMS and MKSAP questions were excellent resources.

The exam was gruelling enough. Please make sure that you get a good night's sleep before your test and that you try to stay calm so you can think well during the test. Try to take breaks so that they could refresh you and help you think better as you answer more questions. Try to develop the stamina for a whole day exam between now and your test date Siva.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have other questions.

GOOD LUCK with your Step 2!

Tom

Hey dude, i'm surprised that you didn't get any surgery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HB

Tom:

From what I remember, the surgery cases I had were post-op management. If you include emergency cases as part of surgery, then I had a lot of those questions as well.

ks

I want to know
Is the length of the real test longer than kaplanQbank and sampleCD?
Is MKSAP a MCQs book?
HB

The length of the real test questions is similar to the sample questions provided by the USMLE examiners. There were a few questions that were long (maybe 5-10%).

The MKSAP stands for Medical Knowledge Self-Assessment Program; it was developed by the American College of Physicians-American Society of Internal Medicine and Clerkship Directors in Internal Medicine. There are MCQs in the book and these are quite difficult. The authors state that this book should be used as a resource for studying.

HB

Thanks for juggling my memory a bit more. There were a number of pediatric surgery cases. There was also a case where a kid fell-off a bike on an outstretched hand.

There were also a lot of routine medical examinations for healthy patients and for patients with chronic diseases.

Hope these helps someone.

terry - bluestar213

Hello,
I just checked ACP site and MKSAP( Medical Knowledge Self-Assessment Program) is very expansive, I am unable to afford. Do you have this with you for sale or is there any other way of obtaining just the Q&A form this book.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »