Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Surgery Residency 2012 - itronic
Is it so difficult for IMG to get iv for surgery? or it is too early?
Hi Match88:

I am not sure whether its too early or not....A couple of my friends got interviews but many of them haven't heard anything from the programs ....neither rejections or interviews ...so keep your fingers crossed if you haven't heard anything...

Thank you itronic!
I have not heard anything from all the programs I applied.
my ID is targetsurgery14
Sorry wrong post in a wrong place...
Itronic, karvel and all others aspiring surgery on this post.. I am a graduate of 2011, aspiring to apply for surgical residency in 2013 or 2014. I have 2 months of clerkships and I have passed the CS. I would like to do research for 2 years before I apply for a surgical residency. I have mailed a few attendings asking them for research opportunities and a few of them replied positively. One or the other might take me into their research as a post-doc. Now, I am afraid that I cannot prepare well and take the steps while doing research. If I become a postdoc I would be given a leave of only 14 days per year. I cannot even take 15 days off to finally review the subjects before taking the steps. Is there anyone who attempted the above?? I am in a dilemma about what to select among the two..

a) prepare and take step1 and step2 by the august of next year (august, 2012 ) and start assisting research (2012august - 2014 august )? apply by 2014

b) grab the opportunity and prepare/attempt steps while doing research (2011 november - 2013 august)? apply by 2013

I have graduated just a week back. I have 2 months usce in a very good university. Any suggestions/help will be very much appreciated...

I also came to know that contacts aren't working at all in surgery.. I have seen in program directors survey on NRMP that in general surgery more than even step1 score, the LOR /referene is given the top most priority.. but what will the contacts really work... What do you think I should and what is the best plan for me... Please guide me.. May God bless you all..
up
Step 1 Score (attempt number): 213 (90)/1st
Step 2 CK Score (attempt number): 243 (99)/1st
Step 2 CS pass (attempt number): 1st
Medical school: International
Graduation Year: 2009
USCE :12 months
Research: 1 published article
Visa requirement (J1, H1B, Not needed): Yes (H1 or J1)

Rejections:
Brooklyn Hospital Center
Swedish Medical Center Seattle
Stony Brook
University of Maryland
University of Chicago
Albert Einstein Medical Center in Philadelphia
Michigan State University

IV:
University of Texas Health Science Center Nov 14th
I forgot
Step 3 score (attempt number): 217 (90)/1st
Hi targetsurgery,

You got several advantage as well as many option which makes your situation tricky.

Recent graduate,
2 months clerkship,
Research Opportunity,

If I am in your situation, I would not leave the research opportunity but postpone it.
Whatever recommendation you have, you need to have very good score, if you want to
get into surgery. Do your steps first, have good results and ecfmg certifies by august 2012
and join research in august so that you can mention in your Cv that you are currently doing research.

Then you the advantage of high score, recent graduate when you apply (< 1 yr which most programs prepare) and doing research.

This is my suggestion, think about it before make the decision. but at the end of the day, It has to be your decision not others.

Good Luck,
itronic
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »