Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Surgery Residency 2012 - itronic
itronic, hello could you tell us how texas tech ív was i havo no iv yet but at least wanted to know how it is. I heard in peds you have to do a case report is it the same for surgery? thxs
Thank you all

@surgeryjuly2012:

I don't have a straight answer to your question, but that's my understanding after talking to many of my friends and surgery residents. sometimes they put you on the wait-list. when someone cancel the interview then they will call people who are wait-listed. But don't contact any program through program coordinator because then they might think that you haven't got any interview and you are desperate to get one, so they send the rejection letter immediately. The other way to go around this difficulty is if you know any attending in a program talk to them, they might be able to get you an interview.

@mikebracken:

In Texas tech, there was no clinical case discussion during interview. all the three interviewers asked questions like- tell me about yourself? why u want to surgery? why our program so and so....In bronx lebonan--there was a clinical case discussion..

So my understanding is every program has their own way of interviewing candidates...so do some background work before you go for the interview..

All the best
applied 25 programs, only recieved 2 rejections, no iv. Is it over?
@match88, Why only 25 spots for gs?
Friends got 3 IVs and applied to 80-90 progs. These are USCs, who are IMGs.
It's not entirely over but it's trickling own. Unless folks cancel IVs, all spots are pretty much filled.
There's some girl on valuemd.com claiming to have 23 surgery IV...majority of which are categorical. I think she's full of crap ( http://www.valuemd.com/residency-match-f...ost1423000 ). I'm not a hater but i'm not naive.

her stats at the time of application:

Ross University...US-IMG
Step 1 237/99
Step 2 258/99
Step 2CS Just took it recently, waiting for score.
3.96 GPA Cumulative
4.0 Clinical GPA
Never took time off.
so no ECFMG certificate and no CS at the time of application...hmmmmmmmmmmm
She's not u'll of crap, no need to hate. My friend would have had at least 10 IVs, instead of 3. His step I scores were very low, thats why. Even then they have all expressed interest in ranking him, and he'll match.

Carib students don't have ecfmg cert till after grad, and most get IVs without.

She obviously has a stellar application, with great surgery LORs, surgery contacts, maybe research, and is a most likely a citizen. Instead of hating, why don't u find out more about what sets her apart.

Last yr a foreign grad, that needed a visa, had 20 IVs in gs. You would have said he was full of crap too,because you won't have realize he had extensive US surgery experience and great LORs. He also happens to be a friend of mine and matched in a gs program in a university prog!
Any information about University of pennsylvania hospital program , any one did interview there
Congrats Dr.Itronic
Hope your IV went well,
I Also get Iv from TTUHSC el paso, can you pls share your experience with me.
Thank you
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »