Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To people who plan to take the Exam by Dec.2011 :) - maryam2009
@maryam,
reading my UW notes with FA right now. Then one block from NBME4.
Graet !!!
Hi everyone, I am reviewing FA with UW notes.
@ maryam, thanks for sharing notes Smile
Today's UW important points

Peyloric ulcer..associated with the H.PYlori..inc. the risk of developing Gastric Carcinoma 5-fold,but colonization with this bacteria does not inc the risk of Duodenal carcinoma.Carcinoma of the distal colon..annular lesions(Napkin-ring) constriction of the bowel
------------
-------------------------------------------------------
Digitalis..causes Hyperkalemia..found in acute digoxin toxicity.Atrial Fibrilation..first line tretment..CCB,Beta blockersecound -line..Digoxin..inducung stimulation of AV node by the Vagus n...slowing conduction through AV node.Digits through its action on NA/K+ATPase causes an increase in plasma K+.indicative of digitalis the patient has taken. Tretm of toxicity..oral activated charcoal,manegement of K..use insulin,KAYEXALATE,Hemodialysis,Digoxin-specific antibody fragment
------------
Cecum is fixed to the right UAQ..Midgut rotation around the superior mesentric artey is an emberiologic processes failure.Omphalomesentric Duct connects the lumen of the midgut with yolk sac...complete failure to obliterate..Viteline Fistula(small connection btw ileum and outside of the body at Umbilicus.Partial failure ..Meckel Diverticulum.
------------
Prolonged Cholestasis causes deposition of bile pigment within the parenchyma +green-brown plug in the dilated bile canaliculi..reduction in bile flow causes intestinal malabsorbtion and neutricienal deficiency of the fat soluble vitamine...Osteomalacia would be most likely in the patient with Cholestasis.
------------
Femoral hernia..inferior to the inguinal ligament.lateral to pupic tubercle and medial t othe femoral vein,enlarges with straining(Valsalva maneuver)Incarceration and strangulation are common complicaton.Inferior epigasteric vessels are located laterally to Direct inguinal and medial to indirect inguinal Hernias.
------------
.Lithium is excreated by the kidney with filtration and resorption from proximal tubules following sodium reabsorption..renal injurey,toxins,thiazide and ACEI.NSAIDs also increaseLi levels and elevates risk of its toxicity.Hemodialysis is effective way to reduce Li.Non dihydropyridine CCB..Verapamil,Diltiazem..inc Li concentration ,but Dihydropyridine(AMELODIPIN)has not.
------------
Inc.Citrate and high fluid intake help prevent calculi formation.
------------
All cells in rest have insulin-independent glucose transporterc.There are 5 major types of Glucose Transporters:GLUT-1:Red cells,CNS..Basal Glucose transport.GLUT-2:Hepatocytes,Pancreatic beta-cells..Regulation of insulin release.Glut-3Tonguelacenta,brain ,Kidney..placenta glucose transport.GLUT-4:Muscle cells ,adipocytes..insulin mediated glucose uptake.GLUT-5:Spermatocytes ,GT tract..Fructose transport.
------------
Mycobacterium Pneumonia causes hemolysis due to antigenic similarity btw antigen in the cell membrane of N.pneu. and in the cell membrane of erythrocytes.Antibodies that cross-react btw M.Pnum. and RBCs...Cold-agglutinin.After the infectin eliminated and immune system is no longer activated against M.Pnem...concentration of Ab dec. and the anemia resolves.
------------
Lysine and Leucine are Ketogenic and would not increase the blood lactate level in patient with Pyrovate /dehydrogenase deficiency.Neonate..sever neurologic symptoms+Lactic acidosis,special diet is required.Lysine and Leucine are safe
------------
Muscle can not release Glucose into the circulation due to lac of Glucose -6-phosphatase...requires to convert Gl-6-P to free glucose. During muscle contraction ,Ca is released into cytosol from the sarcoplasmic reticulum,in addition to binding troponin C and activating muscle contraction ,this Ca activates myophosphorylase to cause breakdown of Glycogen and release of Gl-1-P,which then is converted to Gl-6-P by Phosphoglumutase
------------
Osteocytes have long processes and communicate via gap junction.
------------
increasing prevelance and stable incidence can be due to improved quality of care. Increased diagnostic accuracy affects both the prevalence and incidence of a disease.
------------
Elastin differs from collagen:very few prolin and lysin are hydroxylated in elastin;Wheras triple helix formation is the basis of the collagen,elastin does not form TRIPLE HELICES.;TRIPLE HELIX FIORMATION in Collagen is initiated by hydroxylation and glycosylation and interchain disulfid bridges at the c-terminus of procollagen molecule.TheElastin fiber property in the alveolar walls(stretching and recoil) is explained by interchain crosslinks involving Lysine
------------
Homocysteinuria.. caused by Cystathionin Synthetase deficiency...resembling Marfan syndrome.At high risk of developing Thromboembolism..50% of affected patients respond to High Doses of Vit B6(Pyridoxin)
------------
Rituximab..lymphoma immunoterapy targets the CD20 surface immunoglobulin.Trastuzumab..Breast cancer.Infiximab.. to TNF-alpha for manegement Rheumatoid Arthritis,Ankylosing Spondylitis and Fistulizing Crohn's.Abciximab..against the platelet GPIIb/IIIa.Imatinib..inhibitor of the BCR/ABL protein tyrosine kinase..inhibits the celullar proliferation of BCR/ABL-expressing cells without inducing apoptosis in CML(philadelphia chr. or the BCR/ABL
------------
Foscarnet..an analog of pyrophosphate..chelate Ca and promote nephrotoxic renal magnesium wasting..these toxicites can result symptomatic hypocalemia and hypomannesemia.promotes Seizures.Copyright© 2006 USMLE WORLD, Please do not save, print, cut, copy or paste anything while USMLE WORLD is running. an HIV infected is secoundary to CMV induced retinitis..treatment:Ganciclovir( causescNeutropenia),Foscarnet,Cidofovir.Lamivudine..NRTI,.causes peripheram neuropathy
------------
from two different population getting an AR disease..mother has a 1/30 probability of carring tne mutant gene and father has a 1/100 probability of carring..the probability for child to get inheritant mutant allele from that parents is 1/2..so( 1/30*1,2)*(1/100*1/2)=1/12000
------------
Common Peroneal n. injury..fibular neck fracture.can lesion the nerve..Weakness Dorsiflexion(Deep Peroneal n.)(sensory btw the 1st and 2nd digits)and Evesion (superficial peroneal n,)(sensorymajority of Dorsoum of the food).
------------
The final stage of myocyte excitation-contraction coupling is termed relaxation and occures with Ca effux from cytoplasmthrough the Ca2+ATPase and NA/Ca2+ exchange mechanism.(accepts 3 extracellular Na+ exchange for one intracellular Ca2+.Contraction cycle occurs through Voltage-dependent.Calcium channels.Calcium allowed into the cell by Voltage-dep. Ca channel stimulates the Ryanodine recep...then allow for the release larger pool of Ca stored within the Sarcopplasmic reticu
------------
Lymph from testes drains to the retroperitoneal(PARAAORTIC)lymph nodes.The scrotum drains to the inguinal lyph nodes.Lymphatic from the glans penis and clitoris drain to DEEP INGUINAL NODES.Rectum(lower part),and canal abovepectinate lane...internal iliac,and beloe pectinate line...Supeficial inguinal
------------
Transference..unconscious shifting of emotion or desire associated with one person(sibling,parent,spouse) to another (Physician,therapist)..can be positive or negative
------------
All cells in rest have insulin-independent glucose transporterc.There are 5 major types of Glucose Transporters:GLUT-1:Red cells,CNS..Basal Glucose transport.GLUT-2:Hepatocytes,Pancreatic beta-cells..Regulation of insulin release.Glut-3Tonguelacenta,brain ,Kidney..placenta glucose transport.GLUT-4:Muscle cells ,adipocytes..insulin mediated glucose uptake.GLUT-5:Spermatocytes ,**GI tract**..Fructose transport.
------------
The daily 5 drugs
Acyclovir,Adenosine,Allopurinol,Albuterol(..Metaprotrenol,Terbutalin),Alprozolam Smile
count me in maryam.......am in the same journey....
My story: My Step 1 was scheduled for May 2011, unfortunately could not get my desired NBME score and did not show up for my test. My CS was already scheduled for June and I did not want to type patient notes, so I went ahead and took it and PASSED. Currently studying for Step 1 again. Doing offline Kaplan qs and watching videos( my weak points). I did UW once with 55% in april, will start from OCT 15th for the second time again. I will post my daily study process as much as I can.

Maryam thank you so much for your UW points, and starting this thread. I think you are already ready, and will get at least 260.

Good luck everybody.

yesterday I did not do any qs just watched whole Genetics videos. today I will do genetics qs from Kaplan notes(end of each chapter).
started Goljan Cardiovascular.
Today's plan to finish Cardio and Respiratory and hopefully GI… fun studying y'all .
Welcome back Monira1980
you see,many of us are still here and working ,Studying is just a part of our life,and We will acheive this goal also,just keep goingSmile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »