Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UW Q Ethical to accept gifts? - carpediem1

Sometimes UW has conflicting answers to different questions.

In one q, the patient who was a retired owner of a watch shop presented an expensive watch, the correct answer to that q was to "accept the gift" because it was in the patient's means & not excessive considering that he had owned a watch shop.

In another q I did recently, the doctor gets presented with 4 tickets to a basketball game (the patient actually works in the basketball arena & gets 4 free tickets/game which he doesn't usually use & just sells...so it is definitely in the patient's means) but the right answer was to say thank you & refuse the gift.

Any input/ideas welcome.

What's the best approach? Both q's seem similar to me but with very different answers.
same problem
both q never in any circumstances accept ANY GIFT....pt's financial condition doesn't matters...

@ashlin: according to uw, there are situations where u should accept the gift especially if it's small (cookies) what uw says is really conflicting.

anyone else?
lol....loks like if he gives you an iphone...you accept it and if he gives you its protective casing...you reject it...haha....
Good question --it depends if the patient ill afford it or just trying to give a gift which is simply too much --like lexus 470, so i think a watch is small gift and doctor should accept that to maintain doctor -patient relationship but let him know that u will be treating him just ;like other patients, no strings attached.

@lipoma: thanx for answering....the answer in the 1st scenario pointed out that since he owned a watch shop, it wasn't out of his means but it was an expensive watch...and it would be inappropriate if he didnt own a watch shop. I got this q wrong on uw cuz I picked an answer choice saying thank u & refusing the gift. the correct answer was to accept the gift.

how about the 2nd scenario where the patient works at a basketball arena & gets 4 free tickets?
in this case, remembering the above scenario, I picked thank the patient, accept the gift & let him know that he is getting the same standard of care provided to all other patients. This I got wrong too...the right answer was to refuse the gift.

both seem very contradictory to me..

Don't accept anything ever : if buying that thing would have cost YOU, the physician some money (however little) : Don't accept it as a gift from the patient.
(UW is written by a group of doctors, who will mostly be correct , but in BS and some controversial topics, there will be issues..I would say stick to general principles there)
When they say token like cookies should be accepted, I would say a "thank you" card would be fine too..Homemade stuff, the kind one would include in a care package for a dear one living faraway e.g. cookies should be okay..because traditionally that is considered a pure form of affection for friends and family, and in the physician-patient relationship : a token of simple gratitude. Similarly, you treat someone successfully in the summer and he returns with some of Christmas cake...you accept it. But if he invites you out on a dinner in ANY restaurant...expensive or a cheap take-away, you REFUSE in the test scenario.
Basically, things that are very very basic forms of expressing gratitude : traditional forms, something that COULD not be considered as bribing a person/ treating him like royalty to seek favors l8r / super- expensive that even the doctor couldn't have afforded/ the kind if the doctor resold would earn him handsome returns / the kind of huge perks a company would award its executive on generating lots of revenue, e.g. sponsoring a holiday trip (which a really really rich patient could Wink ) : such stuff SHOULD BE POLITELY REFUSED.
Accepting a gift and saying "he is receiving the same std of care" sounds more like justifying what you are doing..I think.
..i meant Christmas cake l8r that winter Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »