Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it possible to write steps while doing research - targetsurgery
Hi.. I am an IMG aspiring to do surgical residency. I am done only with step2cs. I would like to do research for 2 years before I apply for a surgical residency. I have mailed a few attendings asking them for research opportunities and a few of them replied positively. One or the other might take me into their research as a post-doc. Now, I am afraid that I cannot prepare well and take the steps while doing research. If I become a postdoc I would be given a leave of only 14 days per year. I cannot even take 15 days off to finally review the subjects before taking the steps. Is there anyone who attempted the above?? I am in a dilemma about what to select among the two..

a) prepare and take step1 and step2 by the august of next year (august, 2012 ) and start assisting research (2012august - 2014 august )? apply by 2014

b) grab the opportunity and prepare/attempt steps while doing research (2011 november - 2013 august)? apply by 2013

I have graduated just a week back. I have 2 months usce in a very good university. Any suggestions/help will be very much appreciated.. Thanks in advance..

u will not be able to study with research. step 1 requires 12-13 hours of continuous study if you want to score well. Most of the people do it jobless. Spend a year or two finishing the steps first. The fact that u r a recent grad will work to your advantage. Dont waste any time doing research. Get done with step 1 , apply for observership....get done with step 2 ck and boom!....apply for residency....u will get it. If you start research which is not even necessary...unless u want to do reasearch...then u will come home tired and will have only 3-4 hours to study which is not at all enough andd it will take u forever to pass the steps!!
Thank you very much shinerock.. I really appreciate it. But I am applying for surgery.. I know it for sure that surgery wouldn't be given without research. So, I am planning to do research for 2 years. However, your advice is worth following...

Any other views guys??
In most cases it is difficult. My senior got 260 in step 1 while doing PHD but he is an extra extra extra ordinary guy. Actually if he would write the exam without research he would get 280,I think.
You might also be extra ordinary. But that will be proved only after u get the score.

Good Luck
i would suggest , write step 1 asap and then start research. then study for step 2 along with research and give it then. if u have started mailing professors now by the time everything is finalized and ur visa gets thru it will be atleast 4-6 months and that is enough time to give step 1. Hope this helps. Anyways best of luck. Smile
hello guys, I took my steps while working as a clinical research coordinator for 4 years, so it's possible and it's only a matter of time management.
vj6 suggesstion is very good.
I gave my steps about 2.5 months apart with 2 jobs (One full time and one half time) and managed to get a very descent score. So Yes, it is absolutely possible..
Agree w/neurosynapsis. Been working as research coordinator for 2 projects since november, and took step 1 in january (245), CS in may, CK in july (254).

It's all a matter of organizing your schedule.

In your position, I would take the research job straight away and start to get your schedule clear and to understand your work pace, so you can plan out how to fit studying into the schedule. Especially considering it'll be two years' worth- you'll have more than enough time even at a calmer rhythm.
I did my steps at the same time my PhD and taking care of a 2 year old child, scored 99s. With time management you should be fine
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »