Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bohr and halden effect - naveerah
can anybody explain these effects and where protons r more tissue or lung?
Its all abt 3 components H+,o2,co2 movements onto &off the Hb.
Allosteric i.e shape change in Hb molecule is responsible 4 o2 loading and unloading at lungs and tissues. These reactions ae called HALI HETEROTROPIC ALLOSTERIC LIGAND INTERACTION i.e 80% bohr effect and 20 % haldane effect.
Haldane effect
deoxygenated Hb has higher affinity for co2 than oxygenated Hb.
.'. O2 delievery at tissues promotes CO2 uptake by deoxygenated Hb & vice versa.
Exchange of oxygen and carbondioxide occurs at same time i.e O2 loading and unloading assist cO2 unloading and loading at lungs and tissues respectively.
Bohr effect
Its significance is appreciated more on fetus Hb.
Deoxygenated Hb has more affinity for H+ than oxygenated Hb.
.'. O2 release at tissues facilitates H+ picking and O2 pickup at lungs facilitates H+ release.
Exchange of O2 and H+ occur at same time i.e O2 loading and unloading is assosiated with H+ unloading and loading at lungs and tissues respectively.
Bohr effect: in tissue: Hb unloads O2 and takes H+ and Co2. That shifts the equation to the right; so HCO3 leaves and Cl- gets in (chloride shift).
Haldane effect: in the lung: Hb dissociates H+ so more hydrogene ions on the right which leads to shift the equation to the left, so more CO2 leaves the RBC and more HCO3 gets in and more Cl- gets out (reversed Cl- shift).
thanks i really got this now
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »