Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DO Program, need advice - eurogirl
Thank you dear colegues, I went to DO Midwestern university here in Arizona, I talked to them about my situation, and they said I have to have 30 credits in US college. I went to a comunity college and I talked to an adviser, and saw my credits and my backround he advise me to call the department profesors cause i have a chance that they get me in the classess the DO program require. I called them and they want to help me and let me get in the class. Having RN and MD from Europe, when I came to US I send all my european classes to so called ECE which transformed my credits in us credits....so if i want to go to DO program that is correct: I have to complete these 30 credits which will take me 1.5 years, in mean time i will take MCAT, and the advisor from Midwestern university told me that they have around over 3000 apilcation for about 200 spots, but she was confident that i will get a spot. I am 36 yo so if I dont do something now, I will be working as a nurse.....I appreciate your input filipino and I know what you are saying...I am doing two jobs now and money are very good...but I just dont feel complete until my name will have "doctor" next to it.....maybe I am crazy, for sure I am....Smile but I really dont know what will be the best...so until I figure out what would be the best I am planning to start with the credits .....for those who have a dillema like me, there is another option some of my friends think, there is so called PA phisician assistan, wich is 2 years program and it does not require residency, they make preaty good money...I am not interested in PA program but in case someone is I mentioned here.....I am happy for those who got matched and I hope they are going to be good doctors, cause once i finish DO program I am planning to apply to most competitive residencies like Radiology or dermatology.....so hopefully in my mid 40s i will be saying that i have all the titles possible in medicine: MA, LPN, RN, MD and DO.....look at me I make fun of the situation instead of being sad and crying....hack no...I am happy that you guys cleared for me the situation with usmle and steps and hack ecfmg.....because i called them today, i called ecfmg and they told me that i can not take the board again even thou i will finish another school....maybe i did not explain right....
kompete_xy what is NYCOM emigre physician program?
Thank you so much for your answers, and good luck to all of you, i wish the best for all of you!
to kompete_xy ,
Dear colegue, I checked the program you mentioned on line, Am i seing right? This program does not riquire MCAT? And no credits in US? OMG, please give me more details about it....I might move to NY, God bless you...If this will work you just saving some years of my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!
@ eurogirl - i am really feel sad after reading your article but u have to proud on yourself that u have not given up your aim & goal. I am very glad to hear that u r helping patients as a RN , it does not matter in which way !!!!!!
We guys really get inspiration from u to struggle in a bad time ...................

we wish , you will achieve your dream very soon , all the best , cheers Smile))))))))))))))
@ eurogirl - I apologize to u , regarding to mention u as a RN but I mean NP . I hope u will not mind ................., thanks
So even after working as a nurse and with all those years of hands-on clinical experience, no interviews. Did u work as a nurse here in the US?
I really do not have any advice at this point of time because for one, am in a similar boat with regards to scores and year of graduation and two- I dont know much about the DO program.
@ eurogirl - As I am thinking more about my back up plans, by the way which one is easy to enroll NP or PA ? please share your valuable experience.........., thanks
Neuropathy, no problem, I am working as a licensed practical nurse, I am doing a very good job and I love it, I work around 65 to 70 hours a week, i have also a family which I support myself.....but I dont want to sound like I am "Maria Teresa" I am just mad that these programs dont look inside my statement and have no sympathy....I would be a good resident, I would be a good doctor also.....hack, they just dont know what they miss.....just because passed 10 yrs since grads.....i had a dificult period with 9/11 when i moved here to us....than i passed NCLEX exam so i can be able to work as a nurse...than i had a baby and than i took the exams....well who cares, right???????? Only God knows, my mother doesnt understand ...how can i even excplain to my grandmother than???Smile)))
Yes, I have been working as a nurse here in USA, cosmetic surgery during the week, and long term care in weekends, two totally different jobs.....but in both they love me and respect me, cause I am a good person and I am doing a good job cause I care.....
funny but real: i faild CS exam at first time....I did prepare 7 days, I was too confident and I did failed.....a friend of mine told me that the exam is a piece of cake, so than i just went and failed....this must be a big inconvenient in my aplication.....I think is fair to mention here this, because you "drjon" could have more chances than me if you passed all the exams in first attempt.....anyway, good luck to all of you, and keep in touch, we only have one life and why not to try everything.....right?
Neuropathy, if you dont have nursing backround I think your road to NP is longer than PA, I am not sure.....In my country I finished RN program, that si why I was able to just take the nursing exam NCLEX here after they evaluate my european credits.....but if someone has the MD I can tell you that nursing program dont really care, the only best way is to evaluate your classes and transfor them into US credits, and with those you can see a college adviser....I hope this helps.....let me know if I can clear more, thank you
@ eurigirl - thank u so much , god bless u !!!!

can u please share a little bit , what basic courses do i have to take before joining NP ? thanks
@ eurogirl - thanks for your info
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »