Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
92/97/pass, no interview is it a unfair gamble? - believelv
Sorry for this, you have excellent scores and if you can manage to get into externship until next year you will get numerous interviews and you can get into a very good residency program. Don't give up you graduated 10 years ago you will probably start on the right track in a few months but if not get an externship and you will rock!!
Hey believelv,First of all I have been dying to talk to some chinese guy bcz I BELIEVE you are the smartest people on the face of this earth.I know many many chinese friends and I just feel proud to be around such genius people man!!and above all.I just love the fact that you are the most humble nation on this earth.Most benign and most deservingSmile.
Now if I come to the fact that some of my friends here think u cannot speak english well..Man so WHAT!!!!!I mean does the PD u meet know chinese?Does the PD know my language.Obviously it is a second language to all of us.Now it depends on our inferiority complex level that how bad we feel about the mere fact that GOSH I JUST CANNOT SPEAK ENGLISH!So WHAT MAN!!You are in a foreign country and u are actually speaking their language,they should be proud of that.I remember I went to a japanese restaurant and I was eating noodles there..I actually saw everyone eating with chop sticks there ..I liked the fact that its a culture,a tradition.So I asked the waitor to bring chop sticks for me.I remember I just couldnot hold them properly.and u know what they did..THEY WERE SO HAPPY THAT I AM ATLEAST TRYING,THEY BROUGHT ME ONES WHICH WERE ATTACHED IN THE CENTRE..i mean they were proud that I am trying to learn something from their culture.and I just loved them manSmile.So dont worry about your english.Can someone speak your language?no,then why go and learn that from somewhere.MAN!the boss should be pleased mentality,I just hate it.
now the point that is it fair?No belivelv,its not.and that is the fact that IT IS NOT.If the PD has someone he knows,he will dump your application and take him.If the PD has a preconcept about chinese or asians,he will dump your application.If the PD just had a bad experience with an asian ,he will dump you.I mean man,its all about what the PD has in its mind at that point.May be his girlfriend was a chinese and she dumped him so he will dump youWink..I am trying to bring humour in it bcz I just dont suspect your capabilities as a doctor.Chinese are the people who actually discovered all the herbs and stuff.
Now if u dont get any interview with these high scores,then do u think even if u entered in this system,would u be able to survive..There will be these rejections at each n every step man.U will do residency,no body will pick u for fellow ship.U will do fellowship,U will get job only in rural areas..But the key is ALL OF US HAVE TO SHOW THE IRON MAN!!show that we wont give up even if they kick our butt everyday.Bcz this is our decision to let others kick our butts bcz we love to work with them..So to gain,u must bear the pain.
I am fine with kicking the butt thing,but while getting your ass kicked,Man BE CONFIDENT ABOUT YOURSELF.If u also started to feel that u deserve that,then what else will be left man!!I mean get those kicks with dignity and pride that U R THE BEST AS U CAN BE and u r doing this just to get into the system...
dont u dare go back to your country unless INS deports you.strive man!!this is all we got.other wise all of us are carbon copies of the same brain.Its just one brain got a body that is persistant about this all game..
Dont give up buddy..if not for anything else,then for the name of all the chinese masterminds that I worship.For the sake that U guys are extra ordinary man.I look at your kids even at maths quiz...even those 7 year olds are like computers...I just salute u guys for your brains and abilities....GL.
good luck,,, try to get some US lors,,
Besides,, China is the next superpower ,, so you'l have plenty of medical boom in your country,,, may be someday who knows may be instead of applying for USMLE we'l be applying for CMLE,,
anyway GL
hey believelv,
Take raymonds advice and stand up to the challenge.
success is not far since u deserve it,maybe it will take some time.
And dont think of leaving USA till ur successful.
good luck,

raymonds,
i love the way u write,sometimes i have the feeling ur going to become next Robin cook.
Please take it as a complement.
yeah pal.If nothing happened,I think I will have to do that eventuallySmile.
Well said, Raymond.

As a Chinese myself, I really appreciate your good impression about Chinese. it is guys like you who make our staying in U.S. more pleasant.

I agree totally with Raymond that we all come here knowing that our ass will be kicked. However, we should keep our pride and dignity, and believe we will strive with these kicks.

Believelv, I know how you feel, because I also overlooked the competitiveness. It is really a big pill to swallow to realize that we are not that good as we thought.

I don't know what your situation is. But please ask yourself, will you have any regret when you go back China knowing that you have good chance to get a position here but you give up too early? If you have any doubt about the decision of going back China, I suggest you hang on here until you have tried everything you can. With your decent score, I think you have pretty good chance. There are some people get calls in December.

Good luck to all of us.
I am 42 yrs old Chinese. I have 21 interviews including 2 from Johns Hopkins and one from southwestern Univ. at Dallas. No USCE at all. One program director told me that my reference letter is different from those of other applicants. It took me 2 months to write my personal statement. It surprised me that you do not have even a single interview invitation.
he mocoohaywang how diff.is ut reference letter.can u plz send me one inmy email
I do not even know the content of my reference letter. sorry
why is it so
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »