Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
q11. 42yo woman with SOB - monicab
n4b1q11

11. A 42-year-old woman comes to the physician because of progressive shortness of breath during the past 6 months. She now has to rest three or four times when climbing one flight of stairs. She has smoked one pack of cigarettes daily for 26 years. She has a chronic nonproductive cough and has wheezing controlled with an albuterol inhaler two to three times weekly. During the past year, her BMI has increased from 45 kg/m2 to 52 kg/m2. Her temperature is 37°C (98.6°F), pulse is 95/min, respirations are 24/min and shallow, and blood pressure is 140/90 mm Hg. The lungs are clear to auscultation. Cardiac examination shows no abnormalities. The abdomen is distended. There is 1+ edema of the ankles. Arterial blood gas analysis on room air shows:
pH 7.37
Pco2 48 mm Hg
Po2 62 mm Hg
O2 saturation 92%
Her FEV1 is 75% of predicted, and total lung capacity is 50% of predicted. Which of the following is the most likely diagnosis?

A) Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
B) Congestive heart failure
C) Interstitial pneumonia
D) Recurrent pulmonary embolism
E) Restrictive lung disease
(E)
arent u supposed to hear fine crackles/rales in Restrictive lung disease?
please explain your answer
I am not sure but I think it fits for OHS so I would go with

E) restrictive lung disease

Obesity Hypoventilation Syndrome OHS (Pickwickian syndrome)

This is seen in morbidly obese individuals, characterized by chronic hypoxemia and hypercapnia due to alveolar hypoventilation from the restricted thoracic wall expansion and thus a restricted lung function, with a resultant increase in EPO >> polycythemia, and cor pulmonale.

Effective tx include surgically induced weight loss, nasal continuous positive airway pressure ventilation, and the respiratory stimulant medroxyprogesterone acetate.

Obese patients have impaired pulmonary function, particularly decreased FRC, decr FEV1, decr FEV1/FVC.

eeee
a as fev is decin copd and also increase weight
i'll go for
E ( restrictive lung ds)
her spiormetry findings ...decreased FEV1 and TLC( this one increases in COPD)

and given her morbid obesity..it's Pickwickian syndrome...patients cant breath fast..hypoventilaton... CO2 retention...hypoxia..hypoxic vasocontriction of lungs...pulm htn...rt heart failure...her b/l ankle edema...

@crazyusmle...restrictive lung ds can be due to lung fibrosis or due to external restrictive factors like obesity...
angeldust!!!
oooooooooooh great explaination
E is wrong for sure, from the result I did online.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »