Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lynchburg Family Residency/Centra Health - balton
Hi! I know that you are probably very anxious looking for the perfect match this year. I found out recently that our program is expanding, so I figured a little feedback from first year rookie might be useful for all of you.
Lynchburg is a gorgeous, diverse and interesting place, where opportunities outgrow obligations. Here is what I learned in first 5 months.

All that™s been said about the schedule is true. Here are few extras.
Who is driving the bus? - Gentle giant. Our program director is the man, who has seen, done and experienced. He will be the last one to criticize and first one to support you. However, he will let you know friendly but firmly if there is a problem.

Faculty “ they promote first name basis, which translates into a little more then tap in the shoulder. They are friendly, easy to talk to and more importantly always ready to help. Couple of them graduated from our program some time ago, which probably sets the tone for œolder to younger colleague relation rather then patronizing one. We have very high faculty to resident ratio “ someone will always be there for you. Each of our faculty members has her/his own field of interest and field(s) they are especially good in.

Residents “ we™ve had equal share of American AMGs, foreign AMG™s, American IMG™s and foreign IMG™s. Whatever your background you™ll fit right in!

We have monthly and weekly exercises; M&M™s, office rounds, derm quiz (with great rewards), journal club and drug question of the month. Our own weekly conference with lectures (very practice oriented) by faculty, invited guests (many from UVA) and residents. Just recently we had over, for a whole day, Dermatologist with expertise in ethnic skin, who apart of great presentation gave courtesy consults of our own patients. Centra Health is very prolific in having good number of own presentations and lectures, where residents are always invited.
As for practicing medicine here, it is community based with mainstay of medical problems to practice and become good in. However I™ve seen good number of cases which make a medicine a true adventure, like situs invertus, carcinoid syndrome, erlichiosis or even snake or spider bites. After all Centra covers quarter of a million of patients. We have free hand in recruiting casuistic cases as our own if they need PCP.
As per research, this is one of the spots where the opportunities outgrow the obligations.
One more very important thing! Lynchburg Family Medicine and Residency works under umbrella of Centra Health. Centra™s hospitals rank from top 10% to top1% nationwide in quality of patient™s care. Some of our graduates ended working for Centra as hospitalists or ER docs (looks like they like it here). Medical community in Lynchburg made us (residents) feel very welcome. Never mind few Country Club dinners, but please know that curb advises and consults are common, also you will have a lot of opportunity for a first hand practice of procedures. We are treated as Doctors and I fell as our residency program is a bit of a pet project for Centra.
Our old quarters become a little tight, but faculty is shopping for a new building. By the way Lynchburg General Hospital is expending as well.
Last word comment: I am having THE time of my life!
Does this program sponsor any visa?
Thanks in advance...
We've had visa residents in the past. I'm not certain of present status, but you are welcome to e-mail or call Mrs. Teresa Henderson, our residency coordinator at (434) 947 5200.
BY the way schedule is very benign and family friendly. You can take night calls from home. Lynchburg has a great networks of highways and easy traffic, so it doesn't take longer then 5-15min to get to any of the hospitals.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »