Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have USMLE Scores lost its relevance? - doctorsrk
If you go through this forum, there are loads of people in their 90s and no interview!!!

I think USMLE scores have lost its 'halo', 'maze' and relevance.

ECFMG listening???

Make it tougher so that you can discriminate between better and the best.
I think u have to re read the meaning of percentile. And the no. could be high getting >90 if the overall examinee were high. But the total candidate is only 2-3k more or less in the last 5 yrs.
It's not that lots of people are getting good scores,, but it's because lots of people are surfing this site than before, many many times more. U can see that it took almost 2 yrs to fill 150 pages,, now this yr alone more that 250 pages filled.
It's hard this yr ,, because last yr the cs results were delayed so they are competing with us,, the one who missed the match ,, the good one. In the other hand last yr even the people with average scores got into the match as their result came early, so it was a bless for them
I agree about last year's delayed results and its effect.
My point is simple, if people with 90+ scores are struggling, there is something wrong in system.
I totally agree with you, only high score can be obtained by hard work. If Score lost its value, What else can we do ?
I think its only part of the aplication, anyone can sit down for a couple of years and ace the tests, is that fare? I guess not. If you get average scores and were doing something else like research or getting usce, who stands better ground?. I just think its used in some schools to make a cut but in others its part of you as a whole. I consider myself lucky of my position I have 14 interviews in good, avg and below avg places and my scores arent extremly high although not low.
freddy what r ur scores.in which speciality u have applied
It means most of IMGs score in 90s while the American graduates are scoring low.If they share those 90s then there will be less IMGs in ninties, so the lower scores will get a chance. Don't forget the scale is with AMG but for them score doesn't mater much to secure residency while it maters for IMGs.So Imgs will take the exam when they are sure of scoring high.
I think that one of the biggest problems is that the people are applying for more programs every day. Among all the people that I know who are applying this year I'm the one with less applications(50). I know At least two with >200 applications, and at least 3 with more than one hundred, and all of then have high 80s or 90s.
i am an img but we need to understand that most of the AMG's work through their mle step while they r in the medical school. They dont sit like most of IMG's and read for usmle. They also work hard to manage their finances. its just a point to mention. Never complain about them or our selves. They have a right to get matched and legally we are second option only. We should respect our bounderies. Imagine if some one from outside grabs a Post graduate seat in your college, in your home country, would you tolerate it. Every one says yes on paper, think about it.
xy
I didn't get your idea? My post has nothing to do with what you are talking about.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »