Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cardiac physiology que - saintdizzy
which of the following has increased afterload?
a) Hypertrophied heart
b) Dilated heart
c) Mitral regurgitation
d)Tricuspid regurgitation
e)Pulmonary stenosis
B.. is increased by aortic valve stenosis, ventricular dilation.
ventricular dilation causes increase of afterload
B
yep correct
why not pulmonary stenosis?
I know that dilated heart increases preload not afterload! any comments please!
how is A not associated with increase afterload...B is a volume overload problem causing hypertrophy....

but A in the context of HTN(concentric hypertrohy) is by defention assoc wit increase afterload
shigatox22,
Hypertrophied heart is a consequence of HTN -what means that hypertrophy if LV by itself can not
be cause of inc afterload. In this situation HTN -is a cause of inc. afterload
how does a dilated heart have a increase afterload aka increase TPR?
shigatox22 , I guess you should remember what is it afterload, then you will easy take such q.

Look, afterload is a pressure that LV has to generate in order to eject blood out of the chamber.
Dilated LV is not so strong as normal LV, so it needs more (higher) pressure to eject blood ( as you probably remember, blood goes from a place with higher pressure to area with lower pressure, so LV needs to get more higher pressure than aorta has, to eject blood) What means, afterload of LV depends on a pressure in aorta.
lanna in LVH the thickening of the ventricular muscle results in decreased compliance of the LV as a result LV pressures are elevated(aka increase LV afterload) the ESV is increased (and the EDV is decreased from the decrease in compliance due to a hypertropied heart) causing an overall reduction in cardiac output which further increases LV afterload due to RAAS and baroreceptor stimulation as u recall making it even more difficult for the hypertrophied LV myocardium to overcome the increase in systemic vascular resistence

n as in Pulmon stenosis the RV afterload can be grealty increased depending on the degree of stenosis which forces the RV myocardium to HYpertropy(RVH) in order to generate a greater mean pressure( increase RV afterload) to force blood thru the stenoic pulmonary valve

correct me if um wrong

overall i just think this question was poorly worded but its cool
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »