Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Serious Question - Emily/Morris/Swami & others.... - madhubikni
Say you have many interviews. Say you have decent credentials as well. Now, if a small community programs offers you a prematch - what must you do?
i will go for a decent program only ,no matters it is a uni or community prog,thaugh i have no uni prog for iv
coz u want a good prog and if u want to go for a fellowship then also if u have done residency frm good commu prog then u ll get it.
congo once again for prematch
Accept the prematch unless it is at a place where none of the residents go for fellowships.
@neh

50% go for fellowships..50% take jobs....Is waiting for match very dicey? any inputs on this one are highly appreciated!
madhuBK, you don't have visa issues and you have many IVs so if you don't consider the prematch program very highly i think you can be brave and go for the match.
I feel a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush, unless the bird contains poison and you will die after consuming it. But given other advantages like visa staus and a lot many IVS..you can look for a good match instead of a not so good prematch.
@morris

1: define poison...how bad is "bad"?

2: while i have many ivs and i dont need visa, i feel the pool of people this year is highly competitive...i regularly bump into people with externships, research, previous residencies, or some combination. now, i do feel lucky and feel my ivs have gone well so far - but is it really wise to take a chance?

3: my prematch is in a prgram where 50% residents end up doing a fellowship...it isnt bad..it isnt good either
Things to really look out for...
1) Has anyone been thrown out of the program in recent years?
2) 50% people end up doing fellowships, but how many at the place and in subspeciality they wanted?
3) It also means 50% do not do fellowships, does it mean they dont want to or they dont get to?
3) Quality of didactics/ exposure/ locality/benefits and chance of doing what you really want to do (like go for a particular subspecislity/ learn particlar skills in residency) and other personal factors; their permutation combinations
4) Quality of the staff. I have an IV from a program where they forget to let selected candidate know that they are selected.... I am sure they will forget to tell me if i need to take a prite too..LOL. Malignancy of the program primararily arises from interpersonal issues, so the faculty/ staff quality and dynamics, their involvement play a great role.

I hope my response relevant to your questions.
@morris81

hey which is that malignant program...dont have to name it just location wud be enuf...
if you don't feel great about other IVs then take the prematch, you can try for a better place in pgy2 if u don't feel the prematch program is good enough.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »