Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Serious Question - Emily/Morris/Swami & others.... - madhubikni
well if u think in a big program there wud be too much discrimination .. its too malignant then u wud rather b in a small program, do really well and get great letters and may be try for chief resident ... u will get most of the fellowships u wud aim for if u do well during residency ..

small program in a big city is better than small program in a place where not many ppl live ..take that into consideration too .

if u really can live any where and u have atleast four programs going in match .. go for match

@abc/satya/morris

all interesting observations and suggestions....here are some pearls I am taking from all you guys said..would be great if we can discuss more about these on this thread..

1: Small Program in Big City >> Small Program in Remote City -- What does the house think about this?

2: If area isnt a constraint, then go for a match with >= 4 programs -- Now I dont think that is a safe number. But what does the house feel about this one?

3: Small or big - morris says that make sure the program isnt malignant. If it is, then RUN! -- I think he is identifying the minimum condition for accepting a prematch program. I agree with him - How do other feel?

4: If you do well in your residency (even if its a small program); it opens a lot of doors for your fellowship later on!

1. small program in big city .. yes if u got a good feeling when u wnet for interview and u think u can excel there ..its a safe choice. with many opportunities ,great fellowships in psych r not hard to get ..trust me on that one i have done enuf research on that ..

2. 4 programs if all four ivs were awesome or ur sure that atleast two of them badly wanted u .. if u think ur not a good judge of those things ... not very easy to saySad.. also keep in mind if u ived at big uni prgrams where they will only take one or two imgs, its exteremly competitive .. so know which programs u r going in match with!

3. i agree with Morris ...u can certainly find out as much as u can and trust me some of the big unis r very bad and there is too much discrimination of imgs and u never get the letters that help u get great fellwoships ...

4. thats true specially in psychiatry .. i really do think if u r the chief or ur someone who had amazng letters from pd u wud get into IV leagues tooo.

at the end of the day u got to ask your self what u really want to achieve at the end of your four years .. most imp. thing is to be a sound clinician ....the rest will follow!

i really hate pre match .....
I advise those with a pre-match to take it unless the program does not send residents to fellowships or the program is awful (or both). A pre-match spot is better than an almost matched spot. Pre-match is gone next year.

2. Per the NRMP, the probability of matching in Internal Medicine (IM) is 35% if you have 3 interviews, 50% if you have 5 interviews, 75% if you have 10 interviews. Many people are lucky to get 1 interview which corresponds to a 25% chance of matching in IM. If you have 22 interviews you are probably safe to go through the match.

4. Not really. Certain fellowships are hard to get even for residents at university programs (cardiology for example). Further a number of the top fellowship training programs in competitive specialties in the US are now not granting fellowship interviews to IMGs. If the hospital gets people into fellowships then it is "good enough" and certainly better than not matching. Your career will depend on your fellowship and not your medical school or even residency. We have several IMG fellows in my division who went to small community hospitals. My division is considered one of the top in the US and we get really good AMG and IMG fellows.

more at http://im-for-imgs.com/
i agree abc..

prematch maximizes benefits for small programs...as a recepient, your payoff isnt maximized..

prematches help small programs to fill up without abnormal number of ivs...think why meharry ivs 120 for 5 positions or hss interviews 117 for 6? these are low tier programs which dont offer a prematch...they need to iv loads and rank many in order to fill up..interviewing is a cost for the program...prematches help programs reduce those costs!
Not to say it gives u the peace of mind and eats up a piece of your mind ...
i just wanna make it clear that whatever i write is in regards to Psychiatry.. just wanna make sure other ppl who r not doing psych dont get any wrong impressions...
@abc

i do believe to a certain degree that you are correct...i talked to a few of my seniors last night as well and most said that fellowships in psych are not very competitive...if you play it well, you can get sleep medicine or pain medicine as well...

child happens to be even easier as well!...however, they said it may change...the psych residency by itself is now way more competitive than it was 3-4 years back
Guys think again before u say no to a pre-match .... My suggestion is if u get a pre- match u can always call the program u r interested in and ask them about ur chances ( ofcourse only if u ived at that program!)
its great that ppl r giving their inputs here ...
Hope the ones who r confused get to benefit from it ...

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »