Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why primary care? - anna
I indicated that I am interested in pursuing a fellowship after residency in my personal statement and I applied to many programs including some primary care programs to expand my horizons. Some primary care programs indeed invited me for interviews, so what is the best way to explain when they ask" why did you apply for primary care program while you wish to do a fellowship afterwards?"
I forgot to mention the above scenario is for IM, I applied mostly categorical IM.
I don;t think anyone can answer this.
Its like going to a Peds. interview and telling them you want to only treat adults!
I hope I can give you a good answer to this question:
First of all it is not a problem at all getting interviews from primary care programs if you are interested in fellowship....If he asks you say the truth, tell him/her that I am interested in a fellowship and I beleive that getting a fellowship is not that easy task but it is all depending on the resident. I am sure that with hard working and extensive research at your program I can get fellowship any where...Actually, I think that he/she will be proud if some of his residents got fellowship in good places b/c they will carry with them the name of that program...Now on reality, definitely it can happen but it really needs enthusiasm b/c beside your daily work which is not easy you have to work more on your research, so it is possible and again it is possible....Just my opinion..
If you talk about fellowship and research at a primary care hospital......chances are they will have doubts about your application........becoz when they ask 'Why Us?' what will you answer. The main aim of primary care is to serve the community. In regards to research, many of the primay care hospital training programs do not have much(if any) resources for research.Assuming if everything went well and you matched in the hospital.....what are you going to do becoz its really difficult to get fellowship(unless if its a non-competitive field in a not too popular program)since the primary care curriculum is different from categorical curriculum and you will be at a disadvantage.
To a certain extent I must agree with pier........even if you tell the truth, they may not appreciate it!
Just to give an expereince:

Last year my friend was invited to CWRU/St Vincent hospital for interview.During the interview he mentioned to them that he wants to do fellowship. The PD then informed him theirs is a primary care program and its not very easy to get fellowship from there and even if they do get its in a non-competitive field.He further added that they do not have any research resources.The PD then said the only reason why he is telling all this to him is so that he won't feel cheated if he ends up going there.

Isn't there a Primary Care track fellowship for IM?
When primary care is just suppose to be primary care........why would they have a fellowship?If you want fellowship then go for categorical,simple!Otherwise what difference would there be between primary care and categorical??????
Anna,
I guess the answer to ur q depends on how badly you want to get into residency. You can always say that u want to be prepared for general practice too as you are not very sure of fellowship........I am not telling that you should contradict yourself or appear as somebody confused abt the future plans, rather you should confidently tell them you want to be prepared for both. I saw this on another forum where there was an interview preparation video.........and thought it sounds good.
Good Luck
WHAT ISTHAT SITE SHRI
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »