Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
YOG > 10 years, my chances? - lilkul
Hi Everyone. I am an IMG graduated 12 years back. I have several years of UK clinical experience and an MRCP as well as a few months of Canadian experience. I am currently in a full time research job (lab based). I am in my late 30's. I want to do residency in the US, preferably in IM or Neuro, but willing to consider other areas like FM etc.

What are my chances? I want an honest answer before starting the long road of USMLE prep and residency applications. It seems things are very tough nowadays. I remember when I first graduated the US was always open to hard working people despite age and year of graduation. But now many people tell me it is almost impossible to get residency at my age and YOG. Shall I try? Thank you for your advice.
Hi Lilkul

Its obvious that the residency positions have become more competitive, more so with the increase of AMG's and Carribean graduates in the pool, the recession and budget allocation cuts leading to a stagnation in the number of residency positions, and also a wave of experienced people coming from UK like you

For IMG's besides USMLE scores, other significant criteria which are considered for the interview selection are your YOG, attempts in Steps, your past and present clinical experience in the speciality which you have applied, and most importantly your USCE, rarely your research background when you r applying to university programs, LOR's from US practitioners, last but not the least nowadays your VISA status.

I am an IMG, 37 yrs, 1998 graduate, with a IM and Neurology residenies from my home country, practicing neurology, GC, Steps 1 -253, 2 -260, 3 - 231, CS -2nd attempt, 6 weeks observership in ENdocrinology ( ??? !!!! ),participating in the second match, applied to 96 neurology programs & 84 prelim positions, have 13 ivs, INTERVIEWS DO NOT GAURANTEE A MATCH, hope to get matched this season.....

As far as I am concerned, my positives would be my experience and Visa status, but my negatives would be my YOG, attempt on CS and lack of USCE in neurology.....
Hopefully my example would give you some insight into the residency & matching process.... the rest of the thing is left to your imagination.
Here getting into a residency is more of planning ahead and getting into contacts with people who are into medical field so that you can get some externship / observership /research
I would say chances of getting into residency are contributed variedly ..... 25 % is scores......25% is your experience (USCE - Hands on experience, not just observership or research ).......50% is your luck ( what that means is a matter of guess and your interpretation...)
Getting into residency plan for 2 years.....around 4000 $ for exam fees and preparation material......atleast 6 months of externship ( 5000-7000$ through a online source ).......
2000- 4000$ for the application.......2000$ for attending atleast 4 interviews......lots of PATIENCE...
ALL THE BEST
Hi,

I have research positions available in different states and in different (sub)specialties which include cardiology, endocrinology, pulmonary, surgery, sleep medicine, and neurology. The states include PA, NY, IL, MI, MD and TX at this point. The majority of the positions are in universities, and some of them are in universities that are among the top 10 in the U.S. You can contact me for details.
If you're looking for a different state or (sub)specialty, I can help too. I just need you to be specific and help me understand what you’re looking for.

If interested, contact me at zabinski2009. Provide some brief info about yourself, your visa status, your USMLE scores, what (sub)specialty, which state, when you want to start and for how long.
In the subject, please mention what you’re looking for. For example: “Endocrine research in Chicago.”

Thank you.
If interested in research positions, contact me at marriet2012. Provide some brief info about yourself, your visa status, your USMLE scores, what (sub)specialty, which state, when you want to start and for how long. In the subject, please mention what you’re looking for. For example: “Endocrine research in Chicago.” Thanks.

There were some complaints that no reply was sent. Please be patient, and you should be replied in the order your email was received.

P.S.
Users "marriot" (with an O not E), marriet2012, matissiti, aditi_patel, abba300, and marriet_is_a_scammer, you all are the same person, and you keep making new IDs. Your posts are funny, but you're deceiving users, making them think you're me. Please stop it. Thank you.

P.P.S.
@abba300, marriet2012, marriet_is_a_scammer, or whatever your next ID is going to be:
Please keep posting and pushing the threads to the top so more people can view them. We're getting more emails from customers. We really appreciate your help. Please accept my apology for the previous arguments. Thank you very much Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »