Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have never posted here - drstethoscope
But I am posting today to describe my experience with the match process.
I am an old graduate 2000
Have 2 attempts on step 1 and 2 on CK, CS 1st attempts, Step 3 first attempt.
Have a Masters in Healthcare admin and have 5 years of experience in public health as a manager.
In one capacity or another I have been working since 2005 in healthcare at a mid management position. I did a few observerships last year and quite a few this year. 4 months in Psych and 6 weeks in IM and volunteer at a church based free clinic since July.

I did both my CK, CS and my Step 3 with a full time job, a new born and a 3 year old when I started studying again in 2008. I have taken time off my job mostly unpaid leave to go out of state to do observerships and some in state observerships since 2009

This is my last and 3rd year applying for a residency. I applied to 86 programs 70 Psych and rest IM. I got 1 IM call and 2 Psych calls. All from programs I had done observerships with.

I had applied to the PA program as my back up and have an interview with them in Jan because I had decided last year I will not let another year bring me down if i do not match.

But I think this was my year. I have signed a pre match with a psych program today and have withdrawn from the match.

This was a long long long journey, painful and depressing at times but I had made up my mind to not keep pursuing a mirage if it wouldn't pan out this time but have other plans in life.

The only thing I can tell you guys is that there are myths out for residency and it makes me wince and groan every time I see posted stuff like contacts get you in and this and that.
Trust me contacts can get you may be an interview but the selection committee doesn't let people in just bc there is a contact unless may be if it is the PD himself (and that to is just my assumption)

I had excellent LORs last year, just one interview but it went perfect the PD liked me but the selection committee didn't rank me high enough. This year I worked 6 weeks with the same program and I got the invite call without anyone having to ask them to invite me. My interview was seem less and the PD who I had worked with was very supportive of the fact that I had shown such determination and pursued them to work with them, because the objection last year was she is an old grad she wont be able to do it.

But I didn't sign the pre match at that program, they don't give pre matches. I signed pre match where I am doing an observership now because even though I had a feeling I will probably match at this other program but i would be very stupid to let go of a program who wants me now and is clearly liking me enough to give me a prematch right at the end of the interview.

I guess what i am trying to tell you is that no matter what you think this process is, if you are an old grad with not so good scores and some attempts, and clinical gap nothing will fill that gap on the day they sit down to rank you until that program knows you as a doctor.

When you think how can I improve my CV - the first try should be to get in a rotation with the program you want to apply at and work with them. And really work....don't be an observer- ask the attending can I present patients? and present patients on rounds (doesn't mean you examine on your own or anything, you always have to be with an intern or resident to do it), read about your patients, show they you can be studious and work with other residents to show them you are reliable....know your limits as an observer and within those limits, you can present patients, discuss them on round with the team - that is what an observership is suppose to be - not being a statue and not asking questions - you are the outsider you have to work your way in.

I worked with the PD and he was very happy to write me a rec letter - i volunteered to present papers when he offered them for discussions and I volunteered to present patients - same thing with the psych rotations that I have done.

Being with the program is the only way to really get a chance at getting an interview and if someone who has worked with you in the program will recommend you - you might get the fair chance you need.

I am of strong belief that gaps in CV (clinical, I have tons of other experience) cannot be filled with just frill and interview skills. The interviewers want to see what have you done in last 5 years clinically and you have to really think about the match from that perspective esp if you are a non traditional candidate like me.

Contacts do not do anything magical for you, and your brilliant interview skills fade in distant
memory for the selection committee if they cannot weigh on your application clinically....has happened to me ----- so the only thing I paid more attention to this year was getting more clinical esp volunteering in the free clinic -----make your OWN contacts ----

Good luck to every one and remember have a back up plan even if it means you have to go back to your country and practice there because unless you are tied here as a citizen or PR would be tied, you always have a way back.

Its not the end of the world to not get a residency in the US but doing anything less than being a physician or practicing medicine will be a disservice to your potential and time you invested in getting this education.

Sadly the truth of the matter is that it is only going to be harder and harder to get residencies with changes to med school seat in US, the fellowship changes coming along - and while i do believe in never give up - I learned last year to have a back up plan and know when to stop and think and evaluate your situation.

I am lucky I got picked the 3rd time around but I had to go through hell to get observerships and be away from my kids to do this to get 3 interviews - bc i could - bc my husband has a good job, I am settled in other ways - not many people can.

I wish good luck to every one and hope my post is taken as it is intended -hope but realistic hope.
@drstethoscope CONGRATS! Thanks for sharing, your story/experience is really amazing.
congrats!!
really inspiring ! congratulations ...
congrats! proof that hard work does pay off and to never give up. best of luck with your residency.
Congrats and thanks for being this informative.
I never would believe you could match let alone a prematch.
Your post reflects a very intelligent and focused person. I believe scores are not everything . keep up sis, the sky is your limit. Would you like to email me on semex2001
Congratulations and God Bless you.
@drstethescope

Congrats!!! your story is really inspiring.
Reading your post I get the feeling tht we met at cleveland clinic...
Did u iv there?I might be mistaken but I met a lady in a similar situation.
congrats! well desrerved..
Congrats! You definitely deserve it!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »