Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dilemma... - ilovecyndilauper
if i have 14 ivs in IM but have few really good programs in Pediatrics (3) where I will be happy to go . My question is will it hurt my chances if I rank them before some IM programs which aren't that good??
Advice needed please..
i would love to be u right now.... Smile
ORLY

You're gonna get all different kinds of advice here...

NRMP says rank in order of YOUR preference, no idea if this helps/hurts ur chances.. but u have until Feb to finalize rank listing.

I say rank according to preference, keeping in mind the # of slots... for example if Harvard Upstairs Medical School has 3 slots for the match, and Harvard Downstairs Medical School has 15 slots for the match, rank Downstairs ahead of Upstairs.

There's no secret guys. You simply rank according to your preference and the rest takes care of itself. You can't outsmart or predict it. If you rank a weaker program higher to improve your chances of matching, you may have matched at the stronger program but killed your chances by ranking the weak program highly.

If you were going to match at a weaker program that has ranked you well, it won't matter if you rank that program high or low, you'll still match there then. But by ranking it low, at least you give yourself to match with the programs you liked better first.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »