Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US Resideny, Is it vincible? - drfarooqakram
I am an old IMG with scores under 80s both on second attempts and ECFMG Certified.I have been denied observership at atleast 5 IM programs.I am wondering does any program consider a low profile IMG like me.I have been applying for Residency for last 3 years and yet to see any single interview.I have done FCPS MEDICINE from Pakistan and hoping to complete MRCP(UK) in next 1 year. I am planning to appear in Step 3 in Jan.Though after doing all this bullshit,no body in US seems to see me. I mean what the hell? It seems game is only for late 90s and young grads.I am confident that most old grads with low scores can do lot better in Residency but only if they r considered for an interview which seems to be nowhere.
Can any experienced person suggest whether Step 3 should be attepted coz if nothings gonna happen then why to waste time and money which i have already done generously. Moreover , I will be obliged if some one could post a list of hospitals who give Observership irrespective of specialty.
Please somebody,anybody
Hi, if ur in US, go to local VA clinics/ hospitals and volunteer to observe them. or else contact a DR from ur country, explain him ur situation, tell him, that u would like to do observership in his private office. try to get good US LOR. finish ur step 3, dont loose hope.GL
the only reason why programs prefer young graduates is becoz old grads like you usually have other motives.....clearly you do not want to do the training in the US after clearing FCPS and MRCP just for the sake of academics/training, do you????
Hi Dr dont loose hope,there are lot of good things in world.Tell me which state you are .
I am also a old graduate,with low scored.I know it is depressive ,but we have to live.
I just took MRCP part2 on 7and 8 Dec and sick and tired of these exams.I came to London with the intention to appear in Step3 in Jan but to be honest i feel exhausted. Would u believe, i have taken 5 exams 4 international and 1 local in 2005 and if i take step 3 it is gonna be my 6th.I will probably apply in coming days.Nobody has so far mentioned any spot for observership which might consider for a poor doc like me.
Old graduate donot seem to hinder much in the Residency interview. It does matter in getting the calls for interview but you need to do research in applying.Donot apply in programs that look for recent graduates.
I am an old graduate 1988. I have 8 interviews.I have scores in 80's. I think you will make it if you apply smart for 2007.
Obsevership is difficult and this question is asked to me in the interview. If you know someone than there may be a chace but usually it is difficult.
It seems to me that you've spread yourself to thin, just by the brief description that you have given, which is quite admirable I must say, it appears that your efforts are way too scattered.

At least on paper you should make your efforts look more focused, regardless of what your true intentions are, play the game.
hay dr farooq
did u do ur fcps in jinnah hospital lahore wid dr fakhr imam>
are u from QMC?
You can try the following places,i have heard they give observership
St.Raphael hospital,CT
Griffin hospital,CT,
St.Marys hospital,CT
Brookdale,NY
St.Josephs,NJ
Actually there are so many.Th ething is its a tough game and i guess we should all know this and either move on and keep on trying or give up in the beginning so that there are no serious regrets.You should pull out hospital websites and everyone has information for observership,externship.See if you find a familiar person in terms of being a paki and request him with your CV,although frankly do not rely on them solely,some have real attitude for reasons better known to them.The thing is you have to try and its will be depressing and frustrating but then that is all part of life!!!
i hope it helps.
Yes Mr Rabeel i am from QMC and did my FCPS in Jinnah hospital. Please mail me or atleast reveal your identity.My EMAIL is at the bottom of this message.

Mr.dik, It gives me a new hope as u said that u r an old graduate and have been able to secure 8 interviews,Kindly send me a little mail to give me a hint how to enter Research program. I have realized after reading responses that even Observership has become a tough game to play contrary to this lot of people on this site say that they have 2-3 LORS and did this did that in US observerships.
Tiguere... Thanks for posting a couple of programs for Observership.
My EMAIL for friends: drfarooqakram
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »