Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sensation - satori
i notice that in several cases the phys exams in FA include only cranial nerves, motor and DTRs.. so is it safe to say that we can skip the sensation test in cases except for a diabetes case?? wud like some opinions on that....
thanks
for the sensation without skipping we can do a very easy exam---

i am going to touch yr leg here and there..cud u plz tell me how do u feel?
is it cold or wARM..

I MAY STAND TO BE CORRECTED.
for real?
umm... i dunno ... maybe instead of cold or warm (w/h can be off....) we cud ask did it feel the same on both sides???
thats the thing real life is so diff frm this test.... Confused lol..
to be honest i find this sensation test such a waste of time in the test. so which ones shud we do them for...?
FA skips it for Headache & Dizziness... (and in fatigue they even skip the motor test... only DTRs are done..)
so shall we reserve the sensation only to diabetes and be done with it......?
need more opinions

thanks fr the suggestion angel... lets see what else ppl say...
GL to you
IN ANY CNS CASE OTHER THAN HEADACHE AND DIZZINESS DO SHARP AND DULL AND COMPARE . IN ADDITION TO DULL AND SHARP DO POSTION AND VIBRATION SENSE IN DIABETICS ONLY. IN ANY CASE WHEN HYPO OR HYPERTHYROIDISM SUSPECTED DTRS SHOULD BE DONE LIKE FATIGUE CASES , INSOMNIA (ONLY DTRS)
IHOPE THIS HELP
angel8...are u sure about that? well...touching 'here and there' sounded a lil 'unprofessional' to me...and....getting the 'right' temperature objects to check for hot and cold sensations might not be feasible too...

well..on the other hand...as satori said..we can infact ask 'do u feel the sensations EQUALLY on both the sides'.....i'm not sure on how selective we can get while checking for CNS components tho....for DM case..i think checking cranial nerves and sensations sud do just the way u just check DTRs for case of hypothyroidism....

i might be wrong...waiting for the rightest one to come :-)
WE ALL KNOW PAIN, TEMPERATURE,VIBRATION R THE SENSORY FUNCTION....

WE CHECK SHARP AND DULL PAIN FOR PAIN DISCRIMINATION....

IF PT JUST FEEL PAIN THAT MEANS PAIN SENSE INTACT...WHY WE DO DULL AND SHARP PAIN?

SO FOR TEMPERATURE IF PT FEELS IT IS HOT OR COLD THAT MEANS,THIS FUNCTION OK...

I DO PREFER THAT ONE WHICH SAVE MY TIME IF I AM NOT WRONG......

FOR QUEENIDINE--HERE AND THERE I MEANT IT DIFFERENT AREA...
hmm i understand what angel is saying but thats the thing in real life that test wud suffice but like queen says i dont think that sounds professional in this test scenario... is what i feel..

sudan queen yes i know fr the thyroid ones we do DTRs and all..
but my question is esp for u sudan, coz u mention "IN ANY CNS CASE OTHER THAN HEADACHE AND DIZZINESS DO SHARP AND DULL AND COMPARE" so which cases ARE those....? which cases other than Diabetes do we really have to do the sharp and dull test?
other cases like rt or lt sided weakness as comlication of htn , shoulder trauma ,and dementia( i will check the other cases and tell you)

back pain
in back pain only LL
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »