Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
J1 research to H1? - ppsl
Guys this has happened to me .. I am on J-1 research with 2yrs home requirement.
So I didnt know that I can change to J-1 clinical through the ECFMG.
so I sent my application for waiver but once I knew this information directly I stopped my money order and I sent a fax to the DOS to withdraw my application and I asked my embassy no to send the no objection letter, and my status now is "withdrawn per request".
Do you think that I have anything to do ??
ppsl and nrmp2012....Thanks guys..that was an important piece of information u guys gave me..
Another question..How many weeks does it take for the waiver to get approved ???
Like from next year there are no pre-matches, and you'll find when you matched only in march..
So how many weeks/months roughly ????
PPSL, NRMP2012 & MARCH2011
Can you please provide us with the link to the US visa regulations page which state that it is not possible to go on a j1 after getting no objection statement?

I am not sure if this is entirely true >> "visa officer can refuse u on the grounds that he/she doesnt believe you will return to your country."
Because no obligation for home return letter from your embassy doesn't work for j1 clinical. If you take up j1 clinical then only way out is home return/waiver job.
The visa waiver website states regarding the No Objection Statement
"U.S. law does not permit foreign medical physicians who acquired exchange visitor (J-1) visa status on or after January 10, 1977, for the purpose of receiving graduate medical education or training to use this option."
Reference: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/info/info_1288.html

I have spoken to people on SDN forums who have suggested to finish "no objection statement" paper work (NORI for India which stands for No Obligation to Return to India) before september so that you are eligible for both j1 & h1b by residency interview time.
Spabhishek

First of all SDN is full of american graduates who dont know squat about visa...so I dont know why u will be discussing visa there.

And also nobody has said that u need a no objection letter for a J1 clinical. My friend u need to read very very carefully. We are talking about a No objection letter for a J1 Research visa. It is one of the 4-5 ways that u can get a waiver from returning to your country after doing research on J1.

And u can refuse to pay attention to what am saying. But the bottomline is that if u want J1 clinical...seek ECFMG's help to change your status from J1 research.
If u want an H1b....go for the no objection and waiver and later H1B
. However if u go for a waiver and decide to go back to J1 clinical......just remember that there are inherent risks involved. Unlike the H1B visaa which is for DUAL INTENT...the J1...u can always be refused based on the thought that u had something in the past which shows that u dont wanna return to ya country.

Good luck on wuteva path u take
@nrmp2012

Thank you for the reply.

I have read all the posts in this thread quite thoroughly. I understand what you are saying. I asked you for a reference. Kindly post if you have one, otherwise please refrain from posting unconfirmed information or speculations.

FYI there are many IMGs in SDN forums and also program directors who know a lot about visa issues.

Much appreciate your help.
Good luck to you too :-)
@march2011: i was told that a withdrawn application does not affect your future applications in any way...so i think you should be ok applying for change to J1 clinical or waiver to H1 after the match..
@xpabhishek: getting the no objection letters from home country does not affect your J1 visa chances till u file a waiver application with the DOS...so the advice u got on the SDN forum is the safest thing to do...but if u obtain a DOS waiver then u will not be eligible for J1 bcoz u have shown intent of immigration...

@art20: I am not sure about the timeline myself! hoping it doesnt take too long...i will know when i know...
but it'll be helpful if someone who has been thru this in the previous years can comment...
To all, Kind Request to keep this post alive...this way we can stay in touch with other going thru this process and will also help the one's applying for the coming year's match...Thanks a lot..All the best for the match
I agree...how far is everyone in the process?
My position: applied to DOS for waiver on 23 Feb (date DS3035 reached) and my case showed up on the online J1 waiver system today (exactly 2 weeks)...NOC not yet recieved...waiting..
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »