Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
nbme question - i_99
what is the best treatment for an 85 yrs old man with colon cancer metastasized to the liver (multiple lobes)... is it surgery, chemo, radio, chemo and radio, or no treatment??
chemo and radiation would be beneficial at this stage.correct me if wrong
i dont know the right answer... it's an nbme 2 question.
Radiotherapy...

The choice of treatment generally depends on the type of primary cancer, the size, location, and number of metastatic tumors, the patient’s age and general health, and the types of treatment the patient has had in the past for her primary cancer. If chemotherapy worked well for the primary cancer, then it will usually work well for secondary cancer in the liver. I don't know about the case scenario.

Her age is 85 years and multiple lobes involved we cant go e surgery, chemo side effects would be devastating for her. Although we know Chemotherapy is the main treatment for secondary cancer in the live. Sometimes chemotherapy is given before liver surgery to make it more successful in this case we cant go for it this is my thinking...only option I guess is Radiotherapy, it is not usually used to treat secondary cancer in the liver but it may be used to relieve symptoms of pain, discomfort and sickness
May be its no treatment. Hospice
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »