Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Very stressed, J1 - rahulr
Hi all, I need some serious feedback depending on previous experiences. I know no one is lawyer here, but we knw a lot of people around who went through similar scenario, so please I need those feedbacks to take my decision. Here is the situation:

Presently I am on F1, staying in US for alst 1 yr, first on Kaplan , then transferred to ESL. Maintaining status throughout. I cam on MPH F1 back in 2009, went back to india twice, came back, on and off, without any problem, always on Kaplan F1. Last November I changed to ESL, and have been maintaining that since then, within the US.

Now I am going to get J1 for residency.

Previous history: I hav two B1 rejections back in 2009 as 214b, potential immigrant, though I had proper documents, bank ac, govt job, property , everything.

Now my qs is isnt it a big risk for me to go back to India for new J1? As I already stayed on F, ESL especially, and have 2 B1 rejections? On the other hand, if I apply for status change from F1 to J1, that may take 5 months as I heard of, so I may not get to start until August/Spetember..

So what do you suggest guys? I guess it is very hopeless situation Sad((
I think you should be fine to apply for J1 as it is a complete different visa compared to B1 visa.
So you suggest go back to India and apply for J1? How about change of status, as compared to going back? Thank you
1st u got to ask an attorney to play it safe.specially with all the changes u have made and ur concern.
it is true that if u leave and re enter, u may get ur j faster. but even if u are afraid ti leave, just stay and wait and be in touch with ur program. i have frnds who had to start late due to same reason and didnt want to risk it to re enter.
over all, it is ur choice and u got to decide wht to do. no one can say for sure leave to make it faster....or wait! gl
It will be much faster obtaining visa from India if you are Indian. Change of status will take long time as immigration is cracking hard.
agree with keto. j is different than b and u shud be fine to leave and re enter. but if there are other concerns, up to u. gl
I too was thinking of staying back. Even it is delayed, I can go to the program everyday, so taht they dont give my spot to others. If I go back and dont get the J1, the story will be finished there.

Can u tell me how delayed was it for some of your friends? I mean August? September? Was it is IM? Thanks.
Yes, i am Indian, but does that matter? When I was rejected for b1 as potential immigrant, I had a govt job, with contract, very good bank balance, two houses, my family , everything, still I got potential immigrant Sad
bump.
i am in same situation. going for J1 , on F1 atm. Was planning of converting in here but will go back india. J1 rejection is very very rare. Almost all of my friends last year got J1 visa. one friend had rejection first time but got approved second time. I think it is not a big deal, unless you have very strong ties in USA. They want IMG physicians so most of us wont face problems.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »