Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
failed step 1 once and still matched. - taumd
thanks alot it helped me and encourged me alot.actualy i was very afraid b/c i applied and send my applications and request to many doctors both IMG AND AMG doctors but only one IMG replied me and gave me observership and strong LORs.but i didn't give up hope i m still trying ...............b/c i believe slow but steady always wins............i do hope i will also succeed in my aim inshala.thanks alot.can u tel me how u get lab assistant job either by any resource /contact or just apply urself.i m not concerned either it would be paid or not i need experience and to improve my cv.my YOG 2010.
@taumd

Can you please comment on my case.

Below are my credentials:

YOG: 2009
Step1: 81
Step2 CK:88
Step2 CS: Passed on 3rd attempt
Step3:79 passed on 2nd attempt
Visa: GC
US research and publications
Around 1 year of Observership, Externship and Volunteer experience in US
4 US LOR's
Professional CV and Personal statement

Applied to around 200 programs in IM, Peds and FM. More in Peds and FM

Did not receive any single interview.

Any suggestions on how to improve my chances.

Hi,
Congrats.
Need some advice. How did you get USCE? What type?
Thank you.
@Bismaali: I am happy to see that you are not giving up. You sound determined which is what is needed in this life we have chosen. That LoR you got is great, all my LoRs came from IMGs. Some PDs are IMGs so do not be worried about whether it will carry enough weight or not because it will.
I got the lab assistant job while working as a phlebotomist. It was a difficult and humbling time but I needed to take care of my family and gain some experience in the healthcare system. I worked for peanuts for a year, got my supervisor to write a letter and wrote a certification exam for phlebotomy. I saw the advert for lab assistant on the internet and I applied, luckily, I got it.
Your YOG is 2010 so you are still in good shape. I think it is better for you to stick to gaining clinical experience than lab experience, it carries more weight. Observerships and externships are more important than labwork. I was just able to convince some interviewers my lab experience would come in useful in residency and it took a lot of convinving.
Hope this is helpful.
Good luck and God bless.
hey!
im in a similar situation
i failed step 1.. but scored a 240 on the 2nd attempt
have step 2 ck and cs yet to give... in a months time

could you please guide me on how to get observerships?
iv been looking for over a month now.. but most hospitals n universities ask u to be ecfmg certified before they consider you. so that is a major draw back for me!

and btw.. thank you for all the encouragement u give!
hey!
im in a similar situation
i failed step 1.. but scored a 240 on the 2nd attempt
have step 2 ck and cs yet to give... in a months time

could you please guide me on how to get observerships?
iv been looking for over a month now.. but most hospitals n universities ask u to be ecfmg certified before they consider you. so that is a major draw back for me!

and btw.. thank you for all the encouragement u give!
Matched in IM despite fails

see TOP GOOGLE RESULT for USMLE courses, free university externships, physician assistant scholarships, OLD IMG strategies, high yield programs with no score requirements

https://www.usmleforum.com/
Thanx for that link...
see TOP GOOGLE RESULT for USMLE courses, free university externships, physician assistant scholarships, OLD IMG strategies, high yield programs with no score requirements

https://www.usmleforum.com/
how i (an img) got a residency despite several usmle failures

https://www.usmleforum.com/zXYyTi
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »