Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
beh sc q - sarat
a 19 year old woman who recently moved from her family's home in another state, is hospitalized for attempting suicide by taking an overdose of antidepressant medications. on the third day of her hospital stay,she insists, under threat of a lawsuit,that her medications be stopped and that she be discharged from the hospital so she can go home and finish the job. her sensorium is clear. her physician should
A.discharge her againt medical advice
B.honor her request and release her immediately
C.obtain an emergency order of detention
D.release her to go back to her parents' hom
E.sedate her
i think the answer is B becos one acan detain a person for 48 hours against her will but remember one thing women commit suicide more and men succeed more and according to the question she wants get her job done and her sensorium in intact
I would go for C..She is a threat to herself..
A previous suicide-attempt, is a very Hig-Risk factor for suicide, so I guess, we have to stop her from leaving the hospital, as she is treatening to do it again.???
untill when we should keep a suicidal patient in the hospital? in this case I didn't understand how we consider the patient still dangerous to herself by her expressed verbalization?
she says that she wants to "finish the job" of killing herself! so i think it is C.
I believe this is a Kaplan Q book question...the answer given is C coz she is at risk to harm herself. The doctor should thus obtain an immediate order of detention. She could also be sedated( choice E) but that would anly be a temp intervention and will not address the crux of her problem.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »