Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please advise on my profile! - cool_atomic
Hi all!
First let me congratulate those who matched and wish u best of luck in residency.

I am a final year med student from russia and done with step 1 of 204/84 and a step 2ck 246/99
Yet to take CS next month.
I want to apply for IM and EM programs. I am also looking for some USCE once i graduate in june.
Please let me know if i should proceed or not and if i have chances if i apply only to community programs (because of my low step1).
Am i doomed because of my step1 score or does this CK score cover some gap?

Thanks in advance!
Hi!
As you already know your step1 score is low, but you have other advantages like impressive step 2ck and fresh 2012 YOG.

I would say that have to get USCE for sure, although you do not have much time for that if you want to apply on Sep 1st since you will graduate in June. You will have to be on huge hurry after your graduation, coming to US and getting USCE right away. Furthermore, because of the same reason you will probably have only LoRs from Russia.

However considering your fresh YOG not all programs will require USCE from you (some have this thing like need of USCE in your CV if your YOG is more than 2 years back or 5 years, others will require it from everybody...it depends).

Another Qs is do you need visa? Need of visa will limited circle of hospitals you can apply, but there are still a lot of them who accept ppl with visa.
If I were you, I would apply this Sep, but you have to have a very clear plan and know what you are doing. Good luck, my Friend!

Whiles u are a student...take advantage and come down here and have real US clinical experience. After u graduate it is difficult.
Your peofile is Ok. Am not sure about EM as I heard it is competitive for IMgs
Where has graduates from your med school gone to in the past....that could be important to u.
one more thing...I would not say that you are doomed because of Step 1 score...in my opinion, you will be more "doomed" with all this hustle in general: taking your CS, waiting for ECFMG Certif, getting USCE or US LoRs.

If it will become too much of a hustle for you, or you will get too overwhelmed, than it would be better to apply next year, in 2013. But if you do not have problem with money, than try this year in Sep 2012 or in Oct (whenever you r ready) . You decide.
...agree with nrmp2012 100%, that it is easier to get USCE while you are still in med school. He/she gave you a very good advice...
However, knowing bureaucracy in Russian med schools I would imagine it is hard to do, but still try, find some connections in your Dean's office, you have couple months till June.
Thanks nastia06 and nrmp2012.
I'm of course short of time and need a visa too. I will not be able to get any USCE till i graduate because of all the documentation i have to get done here.

How are russian grads usually treated by programs?
i think you have good scores, and as long as you're personable and not a socially awkward person, you'll get lots of interviews. try to do a few rotations in the US if you can, that will surely help. there's a lot of programs that take elective students, you just have to look for them.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »