Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
80s, citizen, USCE..5 intvs.. yet no match - desilgalnyc
I read peoples struggles and success and it gives me hope. But yet, there are days, when i want to give up.
I a carrib 2009 graduate, US citizen, scores in 80s (with only 1 fail- in ck), 2 publications, lots of USCE. I m interested in family.. nothing hi-fi. This is my 3rd year going unmatched. I dont know what else to do. My intv go well (or so i think) and yet when match day comes, i get bad news.
Can anyone please give me some advice. (oh yea, my school wont help me. They said my scores aint good enough. But I refuse to listen to them).
What can i do to increase my chances on getting into residency?
What else can i do with my MD degree??
Any input will be appreciated! Smile
Congrats to all those who matched and good luck to al those who are still looking.
77/92/pass with no attempts, citizen, yog 2009, first time to join the match
With USCE.

I was devastated when i recieved my step 1 score but i didn't quit, it made me stonger, studied well and had a good step 2 score.

i personally wrote my PS and had my friends critique it. I revised it many times until i came up with something REALLY NICE.
I put all the necessary items in my CV.

Had 4 LORs, 3 from my professors from my international med'l school and 1 from US physician.
MSPE was written exceptionally well by my school.

Recieved 6 IVs (FM): i cried the first time i received my first invite ( because I was so happy), i thought i didn't have any chance of getting one with my step 1 score.

I prepared well in my IVs because this will either make me or brake me. I showed enthusiasm, spoke well during my IVs, showed confidence, and i really had eye contact with the interviewee all the time. I wore my best suit and i thought i looked great.

I think that my IVs, CV and PS made the difference. I also applied all over the place and picked IMG friendly programs I've collected online.
You mention 5 interviews this season?

How many did you get in previous years?

Has anything extra been added to your app between 2009 and now?

Have you tried taking Step 3?

Have you tried talking to the residents in the places that you did interview at?

Have you tried setting up an appt with PDs in your local town or city, when they are less busy and talk to them?

Have you tried revising your PS, and making it much more personal?

Have you tried contacting your preceptors that wrote your LORs, to see if there is anyone that they know?

There are also non clinical options you can do as a citizen? Work for the govt, with the FDA, go into medical consulting. Tack on a masters, either MBA or Public Health. With MBA can work as a medical director or a healthcare investment company, work in pharmaceuticals...list is endless.
@desilgalnyc:
What programs did you have an interviews?
@toxicmd Im in almost the same exact situation as you 79/93/pass no attempt -citizen YOG 2009 but i think because i applied so late(mid november) i only got 1 interview in peds. Unfortunalty i didnt match so now im confused at what to do.

My MSPE is complete crap its barely worth the paper its printed on not because of my grades but because my college only gives a letter basically saying xyz studied here and was a good student and thats about it. I had tried to get them to give a proper MSPE i even fixed one up where it was just basically fill in the blanks but they said no.

Anyway now im here wasting another year. Would you mind sending me a list of the places you applied to so i can know where to apply next year? If you can post it here or email it to me at
docnas: what's your email address?
sorry i thought i had added it there, my email is nasim718 and thanks for the assist.
@docnas- i made note of your email address. I will send you the list once i get my other laptop working since i have the files there. I left my adapter in a chicago hotel on my last interview. The new adapter and charger should be on the mail anytime soon.

btw, does the nos 718 in your email add had something to do with the bronx or brooklyn?
brooklyn born and bred
You from the area?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »