Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is score good enough for general Surgery - urghh
Hey guys, i just recieved my step 1 score today

its a 237/84...but whats bothering me is, if its good enough to get into sugery.
Ive always aimed for GS and have been told time and again that u need above 250 to even think about matching into surgery =s

please guys any advice or personal experience regarding this will be appreciated !
It's ok but total app will depend on ur ck score, and surgery usce and us lors. Also your visa status is huge too. Scores alone will not cut it.
Many amgs and imgs applying for gs have great scores, surgery usce, lors, contacts, research and don't need a visa.
237 now equals 84?? wow!
A 237 now equals a 237, what its always been. 2 digit scores dont matter and even more so teh PDs cant see them now. Focus only on your 3 digit score.
237 is good enough for an AMG but probably not an IMG unless he has something extra to bring to the table like extensive surgical USCE, top-notch LORs, possibly research, and above all, professional contacts. The competition amongst IMGs for surgery slots is massive. I met some on the interview trail (did not apply to surgery but in hotels, airport, etc) and they are willing to do whatever it takes to get a categorical slot, including being used and abused for 2-3 years in prelim year positions while trying to get a permanent position.

Your scores are OK.
A lot of high scoring IMGs are out there but dont enter. Looks like multiple USCE and LORS from American Faculty are equally important. Research and publication also help.
how did you know its 84, i thought they stopped reporting 2 digits now
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »