Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
will this research experience benefit matching? - adeline
Hi,

I have a PhD in biomedical science. Now I have a chance to work on human stem cells in a top medical school. I am quite hesitated whether take this offer because since I will have much less time on exam preparation. Can anyone share your thoughts about it? I will appreciate greatly for your suggestions.
YES!...but don't let it compromise your study time, having a PhD is good, doing research is great, however scores matter alot, if you dont mind me asking, where is it?? and are they looking for a post-doctoral fellow, I am looking for a research opportunity also.
Thanks for your suggestions. It is a post-doctoral fellow position. Would you please leave your email address? We can communicate more through emails.
hey Adeline, can you please send me the information about this post doctoral fellowship too? enn.kay1
Thanks

Your PHD is more than enough. An additional research in stem cell isnt gonna change anything. The research may be a deal breaker in Univ that have a similar lab but most community programs/ affiliated hospitals wont care .
Am talking from experience. I have some research experience and during my interviews it rarely came up..they commended me for it but they kept questioning my clinical skills. In fact the place that I matched...one week to ROL...they got back to me and said...I have fantastic letters from my research experience but they needed another US LOR talking purely about my clinical experience...u can imagine the last minute stress I went through. Take it...it is better than nothing...but dont expect much from that(considering that u already have a PHD)
Hi, nrmo2012, Thanks for your experience sharing. You are hitting the point I really concerned. I will think more about it. Congratulation for your successful matching finally.
It'd be plus point if you can publish articles....make strong contacts during the process....and dont fall much behind in graduation years.....

PhD is helpful...but main help would be from ppl with whom u'd publish and who'd advocate for you during application. You can get contacts from doing externship also. So, you've to decide what would work best. Thanks.
Hello, my email is megoosuala...all the best! what specialty are you going for??
HI, usmledhk, Thanks for your suggestions as well. I already have a few very good publications (first author, and coauthor). One pending coauthor paper will be from a clinical director at our medical school. My concern is whether my background is OK except a good score. If so, I feel I should mostly focus on exam.

I really appreciate for your comments.
You should use the research to your advantage to get in the door of the university program. Once you are in, you get access to the PD, and it is easier to do observership at that program and know the attending physicians there. You can start networking by going to Internal medicine conferences by getting acquainted with people there.

Applying for observership is hard, especially in community hospitals. Its hard getting a good letter if you not allowed to do anything, unless you already know the attending who is going to give you a letter and just needs you to spend some time with him.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »