Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
failed step 1 three times, what are my chances? - numa
hi,
I'm a canadian caribbean graduate, failed 3 times because of my own laziness. I am about to take it again this month, anticipating probably 80-90. Do I still have a chance of getting into a residency? If I do a lot better on step 2 and 3, will that give me a better chance? I've read that they value step 2 and 3 scores a lot more. Does anyone know of friends who have gotten residency after failing step 1 a few times? Should I not take step 1 until I can guarantee myself at least a 90?
thanks for any help in answering these questions
soory numa ... for the failures .
not a pleasant experience
frankly speaking .. failing any of those exams is too bad. i use the word too bad.
and so do the attemps also exponentially make it worse.
However, you have got to keep your dream alive.
this is the way i like looking at it honestly.
What qualities do you like your personal doctor to have., Lazy , failure etc
This is not a joke or try and error thing. you say you were lazy. Nice you have identified your problem but what are you doing against it/them
You are either serious or stop wasting your time.
THis thing is very competitive so before you go patching , wasting dollars , you better start doing your homework. That is exactly what is going to determing your residency chances.
DOING YOUR HOMEWORK.
That means A) studying well to do very well in your next exams .. more important esp as you already have attempts.

B) gaining as much clinical experience as you can

C) Getting good letters of recommendations. (again this is not a joke thing... what kind of letter of recommendation would you give your self what kind do you like to have..... Strife to be that kind of person

D Pray. Prayers is always good for the soul

E) Create good connections

F) Remember many things are possible

EHHH I may sound hard but do not get me wrong . I am just being plain honest.
And wish you good in your future residency as a serious and hardworking doctor .

Good luck
Very good post ebolaa, but I suggest to numa to give up. Be practical, in this period of v high level of competition, 4 attempts in step 1 will not make it past any program's application filter.
i don't want to sugar coat, 3 failures on step 1 is a huge detriment. different programs weigh things differently. but to be on the safe side, every exam is important. we've all heard stories of people matching with numerous fails.... if you want to be a doctor then put in the effort and don't give up.

try to kick ass on step 1, 2 and 3, maybe a couple research topics/articles may help your cause. programs also look at your timeline ie. are there any gaps in your education? i'm assuming you've been done basic sciences for at least 6+ months? the bigger your gap, the less desirable your application becomes.

as others said, it is very bad. you should be realistic and pursue another career, to be honest. failing that many times is not going to get you past the filters because there are just too many applicants who never failed a step. before wasting more time and money on USMLE why not try something else?

Myself, Sumita Dalal, was sitting where you are sitting right now. Yes, I was once a Medical School school student. Studying for exams was never quite easy and USMLE exams were a struggle. Then came the one day that changed everything - the day I failed the USMLE.

Failing the USMLE was one of the most devastating, crushing, and heartbreaking experiences of my life. Not only was I aware that I would have to wait another 12 months before getting a residency but I knew that I didn't have the money to continue taking the exam. I had to pass the second time around or I wouldn't be a PGY-1. I just didn't have the funds to take the exam a third time, and I needed a job to pay my loans and support myself.

But before taking the USMLE again I knew I needed to do one thing - I had to figure out what I did wrong in the first exam and not make the same mistakes twice. So then began my struggle to find a TRUE boutique tutoring service- that was not some big name de-personalized commercial unfeeling program.

Finding a USMLE tutor was grueling back then (2009)- and it still is. There was only one certain resource that is available online, personalized with needed live help, and to top it off gives a 100% guarantee! AND IT WAS TOUGH TO FIND IT…

Taking the USMLE the second time was grueling but armed with this unique online, personalized (with needed live help),100% guaranteed service I passed the USMLE the second time and NOW the story continues-with YOU!

This service knows how hard it is to take exams. But they also knows that it is more important to get it right the first time or correct your mistakes quickly so that you can ultimatley succeed. This is why they wants to help you succeed as fast as possible.
BOTTOM LINE: GET MORE INFO BY CALLING 641.715.3900 ext 833768 IMMEDIATELY.

sumitadalal = a$$ clown who runs the 1 man - circus called 14K grnteed course.
grnteed FAIL for all who have taken it , with no money back!!
It is not impossible for you to match, but it will be EXTREMELY hard. If you are prepared to handle all the costs (both financial and emotional) of taking your steps, getting additional USCE, the ERAS application, and travel within the US, and still have an enormous chance of being unmatched at the end of it all, then go forward with it.
Actually most programs put much more emphasis on step 1 than any other USMLE. The reason for this is very logical. Step 1 is the exam that most AMGs will have taken at the time they apply, so it's the best exam to compare and contrast applicants. Some specialties do put a lot of emphasis on Step 2 as well, but no one cares about your Step 3 score. Only IMGs/FMGs who require H1b visa sponsorship will have taken this exam.

Nothing is impossible, but I would also say it will be EXTREMELY difficult for you to match in the US. Every year numerous foreign candidates with no attempts fail to match. It is definitely getting more and more competitive!

You said you're a Canadian, have you taken the Medical Council of Canada Evaluating Examinations? If you're able to pass these, and hopefully do well, on a first attempt I am sure you're chances of matching in Canada are far better than in the US. I know in Canada they have very few spots for foreign medical graduates, but still I would say your chances are better there than in the US with 3 attempts on Step 1.
sorry to hear that.
-do ur best on the rest as u can..we cant change wht is already done! try to move on
- have a plan b in case...no one deserve to waste life and money on foking match which is darn unpredictable...even with 99er and fresh grads as u see
-finally, no one can say for sure wht or how! why not to try other things like nursing or dental ... since it takes time to pass the rest of ur mle and boost ur resume....well, just my thinking! up to u.
-wht i noticed previously, for careeb grads....they match even with god times attempt and low scores....this was old story....nowadays there are so many who are using those sexy careeb shores to relax and then come back to the us to pay back the loan and earn good money to be a doc! so now it is getting harder and harder...since too many are competing and so many are grading frm careeb schools. gl
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »