Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
interesting experience - mohan
hey guys
i recently went for an interview. there were 10 people who were called for the interview( 2 FMGs and rest AMGs). all of us were interviewed by 3 members of the faculty. soon after i was called by the Ass PD to do a 4th interview with the chairman(no body else was called). i sat with the chairman and he asked me various questions abt my present job, my family, my usmle scores, my transcript, my future plans regarding fellowship and marriage and stuff. i asked the chairman abt my chances before leaving and he said its pretty hard and i have to wait and see what happens in the match. he just didnt gimme any clue abt what he thought abt me at all.the last interview lasted around 20 min by which time everybody had finished their lunch. i came out pretty confused and i still dont have a clue abt this incident. should i think that since i was the only one called for an extra interview i have good chance or should i think that the 4th interview was to eliminate me from the match list( since that was what he said -- wait for the match)
How many years have you been in US? You think a Chairman would like to spend 20 minutes in order to eliminate you? Any faculty can eliminate you in the first place in 5 minutes!

It is definitely a good sign before he started interview. Two possibilities after the interveiw: you did not do well in the interview with him, or you did great but he just doesn't tell anyone anything. Nevertheless, to have that separate meeting is very special. Try to figure out what you could have done better and send a letter to him if you feel you have something else to clarify. You are special to them. After all, are you FMG?
yes iam a FMG. do u think asking for a 2nd look would improve my chances??
Try to figure out what you could have done better and send a letter to him if you feel you have something else to clarify. Ask for a possibile second visit but you need to have a theme or reasons why you ask for that, not only you are interested in them. Otherwise, you may visit them third or fourth times merely because you are interested in them, right? For example, you can tell that I would like to join more discussion in morning report or noon conference, or I would like to come on a day when grand round happens, etc.
please if you do not mind, can you tell what are your credentials?
thanks drwjxe
oh i forgot. the chairman also said that my picture in the file doesnt look like me and he criticized me abt that. should i take a more recent picture with me when i go there or will i look desperate??
Forgive me to write that, but to me it sounds like the chairman is more on the mean side of life. Do you really want to spend the next couple of years where people start critizing you and disecting you even during the first visit?
I do not know about your other interviews but be careful and listen to your instincts AND compare it to your other experiences.
Are the residents ok? Happy? Overworked and don't know it?
I hope you find my opinion helpful.
GL
think you are just childish. Americans like making funny joke and it is just one of his jokes. If I were you in that situation, I would just say "this is the picture I took right after my Step 2 exam, do I look stressed out? (and smile). If you really really want to have some fun with them, take a digital photo in front of their building and print out in Walmart or Walgreen the day before you go for second interview. If you still see the Chairmen, show him the picture and tell him that "I hope this will actually happen in next July!"

My key point here is that you need to be considered by them as a part of the team and part of the culture. I think he worries about you since you have not been in this country and in this culture for a long time. He worries if you can handle this culture plus daily stress as a resident. To be honest with you, if you don't think you can do that, be honest and shoot for a little low-profiled program. I bet this program is an excellent one and that is why you are stressed out.
you r absolutely right. it is an excellent program( one of the best that i have been to) and thats why iam a little stressed out about it.the residents were very happy there and has excellent didactics with beautiful fellowship opportunities.
iam also thinking if iam so desperate then may be i shouldnt go for a second look cos chances are that i might mess up the whole situation. anyway the chairman was not an american , he was from my med school from india ( may be that is also another reason to arrange seperate meeting with him).
my creds are 97/99 cert FMG old grad(>6yrs) no USCE or US LOr.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »