Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calling out to all Steppers out there - mustardseed
Hi guys,
I'm writing to seek advice....
I'm and IMG, I been studying for a while now, mostly on and off. Took Kaplan live lecture classes and listened to some audio Goljian lectures. Although I didn't review all the material before attending a live lecture, I felt like I needed some structure and organization with my studies, but after the program, it was extremely hard to keep up with the pace of self-motivation. I must admit, I fell off the wagon for a while, became so depressed and the whole drama that comes with not wanting to face this exam.

With my family and friends constantly on my back & harrassing me, I decided to re-focus on my work and take a leave of absence from my job. Now, I have been studying and reviewing the Frist Aid along with DIT lectures for the past 5 months. I have been scoring not so great on USMLE World Assessment test... 159 & 168, with NBME scroe of 200. Out of shere desitute and pressure to please my family, job and Friends, and get them off my back, I had paid and picked a date for my test, only to feel so ill-prepared that I had to cancel it and pay for the one time extention to rescheduled for this coming Tuesday.

My dilemma is.... Tuesday is quickly approaching. I really don't want to fail this exam or just pass by the skin of my teeth, nor do I want to waste the $800 all ready invested for this exam. I work as a Lab Tech and l already asked my supervisior for countless extentions on holding my spot so that I can return. The irony of this story is, all this time I have been dreading this exam and was so afraid to face it, but it wasn't until a week ago, although I'm still getting questions wrong on USMLE World, was I beginning to make more connections and starting to see what the questions were really asking for. I feel like I can benefit form another extention of 1 or 2 months to better my score. I'm aware that Kaplan says, not to sit for an exam if you don't feel ready. I'm trying to take everything into account.

Many people have been telling me to go sit for the exam and just see what will happen. It will serve as an experience, so that I can know what to expect the second time around. But Lord only knows, that I don't want to have to sit for this exam again, nor score a below average grade when I feel lik ei could have done better. Yes, maybe I might get an easy batch of questions and maybe not.

This can be just my nerves, but I feel like i have so much left to re-read, re-review and re-study. I've only completed 50% of my U World bank. So lost and So in need of sound advice.....

Does anyone out there understand me?
i think its pretty simple dont sit for the exam if u dont feel like ur ready and i don think u want to risk your future this way .
good luck
my advise is to take an NBME online and see how well you do what are your weak areas?have you done any q bank how is your score in that..
DO NOT FK UP THIS EXAM!!!! If you are not ready do not take it. This score is HUGE!!!!
this step is huge...never take it if you are not ready...extend the exam and only then sit for it!!!
that is what anyone would suggest
i lost my 800 dollars(am ashamed of it but my circumstances were different) but still i wanted to take it only when i'm ready...this step is sometimes looked upon as the most important of all the steps!!!
hello i can see myself in you. i am thinking if leave of absence i filed is better than resignation from my job which exactly same as yours. i am only granted 3 months which is fine with me but i have a lot of plans after that. I am thinking if LOA is worth having because together with that are the pressures and less flexibility in things that i really want to do in the future.
I think that is what is happening to you, you are getting pressured and stressed for what might gonna happen after the test, thinking about the feeling and thoughts of those people surrounding and supported you during your time off. Until now im still thinking if i have to withraw my LOA and just resign to free my mind. Please reply if I am right, so I could decide also for myself soon.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »