Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CVS question - drsahiba
why don't we give ACE inhibitors + B blockers in HTN but this combo is ok in CHF/CAD?
who said ace inhibitors + b-blockers are ok in CHF ?

diuertics + ace inhibitiors = OK in CHF

never heard of the combo ace + beta blocker Smile
you can give one or the other not both together.... no need for that Smile
related to increased hyperkalemia toxicity of ace i + b beta blockers
b blockers are given in cad/chf for the better prognosis and cardioprotective effect

I dont know why this combo is avoided in HTN
primary treatment of CHF == > loop + ace Smile
primary treatment of HTN == > beta blockers -> specifically metoprolol as it decreases mortality the only beta blocker.... you can give ACE also depending on the cause of HTN ...

but if you have a patient whose a chronic smoker + HTN = > whats the drug of choice ? beta blocker or ACE ??
basically my point is... B blockers reduce renin which reduces ATII so ACE inhibitors cannot perform their action on the low ATII and would have no effect on HTN to reduce BP [UW]

B blockers ARE given in compensated CHF and CONTRAINDICATED in decompensated CHF [FA] (here is a question... what's the difference between the two?)

u never answered my question drsahiba ... Smile
ace in pts with hitory of smoking
@777 why ace ? the side effect of that is cough !!
sorry for the delayed reply, got bz in something. so ACE inhibitor wouldn't be recc in a smoker with HTN pt b/c it causes coughing.

i would agree that primary treatment of HTN give B blockers but interestingly FA doesn't even have B blockers as an option!

however, one of the initial treatments reccommended for HTN would be diuretics
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »