Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any chance of practicing in USA - mohsin05
Hi all. I am new to this forum. I graduated in 2000, took my step 1 2002, step 2 2003. Could not come to USA because of visa problems then.
I practised in UK and Australia till now. I recently immigrated to US (on a green card now). I was told by ECFMG that I cannot retake my steps since I passed them before june 2004. I am taking my step 2 cs now and then step 3 sometime later (new york)
I am made aware of the fact (did not realise it earlier) that most of the states require usmle passing within 7 yrs, only a very few allow passing over 10 years time for the sake of licensing. I live in IL and for licensing, it requires usmle 1, 2, 3 to be passed in 7 years.
Does it mean my only chances are in NY only(which will be very very limited with year of grad 2000) or is there any other way out of this? thanks for the input in advance.
Why did you leave Australia after practicing there. May I ask how is practicing in Australia because many of us are planning on leaving the US.

Dude your situation is a mess call ECFMG and hammer it out Old Grads always have a very rough time getting in.
Its not bad practicing in Australia. They are pretty laid back, but if you want to enter as a fresh candidate, it may be very tricky, esp if it you want to practice in metropolitan.
I asked ECFMG and they told me I can get licnesure after getting ECFMG certification and post doing step 3, I may ask the individual state. The state may sponsor/request ECFMG to allow me to re do step1 and 2 and a license hence may be granted. I know it seems like a far shot but there is nothing else I can do now.
Why did you leave it's getting brutal here. I am planing on the new Zealand can you shed any light on becoming a internal medicine attendee there?
I'm sorry, dont know anything first hand about N.Zealand but it is less competitive than Aus. If you are in Aus, you dont move to N.Zealand, but N.Z are happy to relocate.
Have you done your step3? Also, do you have status here in the US? They are imp if you wish to work in Aus/NZ
i am american with all board exams done but no luck in the states. i was told go to NZ do 1 year then move to australia?

hey mohsin are u arab?
Hey where are you
Call me on 909-800-0712 or email me on dukealum@ymail.com.There are better opportunities in research which will totally qualify u for it and also will get u the same income as when u practice
Hi, mohsin05 and docsammd, could you please tell me how did you got the GC, by work or any else? and how long? thanks
I am an american born citizen I do not know GC process. Ask in the forum somebody might help.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »