Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
7 year rule of USMLE - jeraffe
Can some one confirm whether the 7 year rule still exist or not.

I mean is it true that if some one have passed or appeared usmle step 1 7 years ago can retake usmle step 1 now if he or she wishes ..

Please give your sincere opinion
Yes it does exist
only if you don't have ECFMG certificate.
I passed all and I need to pass step 3 in 4 month until 7 years period will expire,but if I don't make it,I can take step 3 again,and apply in states that don't ask 7 years rule for all steps.
laurac - it has nothing to do with the states. in order to take step 3 u have to have an ecfmg certificate anyways. fsmb checks this when u apply for step 3. on top of having a certificate, u have to pass the exam within 7 years of passing step 1. ecfmg will no longer sponsor u to take step 3 if ur 7 years have passed, even if u have an ecfmg certificate. at that point, u have to reapply for whatever exams expired (usually Step 1) and retake it so u fall within 7 years rule again. keep in mind u wont get a full 7 years more, since ur step 2 will likely expire within a year or two after your first step 1 score expired.. at which point u will have to retake step 2 again as well.
hi ladki,

do you have a link for this?
where did you read this?thanks
I hope what ladki said is true..
I have a low step 1 score and it is hurting my chance for residency and I cannot do anything about it.
If 7 year rule applies it would have been good as i can retake usmle step 1 and improve the score and probably better my chances for residency.
But I am ECFMG certified ND have not taken usmle step 3.DOES THE 7 YEAR RULE APPLIES TO me

Ladki are you sure about the info you gave?

Please confirm

@laurac
check this link out , there are all information that you need , this link about eligibility for USMLE STEP 3 ,,NOT STATE LICENSE requirement ??

http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_requirementschart.html

So I guess we can retake usmle step 1 or 2 this means that for the state medical licensure purpose ,We can retake step 1 or step2 after 7 years of passing first xam

As per the ecfmg link .... page 47

http://www.ecfmg.org/2012ib/2012ib.pdf

Thanks God....
it doesnt apply for all the states, read well
So I guess the key is Not to take Step 3 and wait for the 7 year from 1st exam passing....if anyone has just passing score or medocre score in Usmle step 1 and 2... as step 3 score doesnt matter anyways for residency purpose.

royal 69,Thats correct that it doesnt apply to all the states,, but if u want to improve your usmle step1 and step2 score u can apply for those states which have the 7 year rule and ask them for retake request and then improve the score in step1 and 2 ...doesnt it give some hope for those who are struggling with mediocre usmle scores...right...its not all over for them..
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »