Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBME form 1 B2 #21 - jupitor8
21. A 3-day-old Latina infant is in the hospital awaiting routine physical examination. She was born to a 28-year-old woman by cesarean delivery at term because of breech presentation. She is the woman's first child and the pregnancy was uncomplicated. The infant weighed 3686 g (8 lb 2 oz) at birth. Physical examination discloses asymmetry in the number of thigh skin folds and uneven knee levels when the hips and knees are flexed. Barlow test is done and a palpable "click" is felt in the left hip. Without prompt treatment, this child is at increased risk for which of the following?

A) Dysplasia of the hip
B) Femoral head anteversion
C) Legg-Calve-Perthe disease
D) Metatarsus adductus
E) Slipped capital femoral epiphysis
bbbbbbbbbbbbb
can you explain why not other choices?
I think it's A answer

Developmental dysphasia of hip - as Barlow test positive , first child , usually females, breech presentation . These kids are at increased risk for osteoarthritis .

Please explain why it's option B
Femoral head ante version is ante veered femoral head , meaning more medial rotation of femur leading to patella hitting each other and inward toes . Usually found in males , 3-5 yrs age .. Await untill 8 yrs old and do surgery if severe disability . These kids sit in inward W position legs usually .

Please correct me if I am wrong .
i would think A as well...
??
AAA
ans.A
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »