Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
matching dermatology - usmle68
Do anyone have any experience on matching dermatology?

My credentials are

step 1 232 97 2008
step 2 239 99 2010
step 2 cs 1st attempt 2009
step 3 224 94 2011

prematched to IM program in 2010

now second year resident.

I want to go for dermatology after my residency. Does anyone have any experience as mine?

Dermatology has always been one of the most competitives specialties since most applicants are american graduates... I would say if you are already an internal medicine resident, you will have better chances to get into there being an internist. So, hang in there buddy....
I would suggest if your hospital or University has a derm program. You stick your head in their window and introduce yourself and try to make connections. Once they get to know you and like you, you should have no problems.
thank you, sym and pep.
I also have a ph.D. in the US in cell biology and molecular medicine. Publication is on American J. of Physiology.

the only draw back for me is my graduation year from medical school.
Last year, there were 23 PGY1 derm positions in the whole country : http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddata2012.pdf
I think, it will take an exceptional IMG to get in and if you look at the data for 2012, one Non-US IMG got in and the remaining 22 positions went to AMGs. So it is possible.
That said, since you are already are in the same hosp, build your contacts etc with the derm department and who knows
Dear iowa, not all hospitals have derm program. for example, in NJ, there are only three hospitals have derm program. The hospital I'm in only has derm clinic.
You guys must be smoking some really good shit. Stop dreaming, move on and be happy with what you have.
@usmle68..... your challenge just got bigger!
I really appreciate what I have now. It is all from God.

I want to go further with my career to dermatology, not only because it is a good occupation, more importantly, I am observant and will be very good at dermatology.
ok very good, now tell that to PD so they can take you, what we will do here on this forum?
also you score is not high enough for the derm.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »