Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Americlerkships review - ayash
Dear forum members,

As I have seen many questions in regards to externships, I wanted to share with you a review of my experience with americlerkships.

Did rotations in Chicago area for 5 months. One of the attendings was well known and respected in the community. This came to light when I was doing volunteer work at one of the hospitals and I had mentioned this doctor's name and I was surprised to hear all the good things they had to say about him (plus points for connections). Anyway, initially I had some misunderstandings with Americlerkships, I subsequently wrote the CEO and after some time received a message and a phone call from him. He listened to my story and told me he would call back once he looked into the issue. Looking back, after many months I wanted to thank him on this public forum for the way he handled the situation it was a surprise that he went out of his way to resolve this.

Take home points- Americlerkships has made mistakes in the past and this can be attributed to their relative newness and as a result has evolved into something better and more mature. In other words they have learned from their mistakes and used that feedback to build a better service and support system for IMGs. I would definitely use their service if need be in the future.

Thanks for sharing your experience. For some reason, I didn't trust, so I didn't use their services.

So where were the rotations? In a hospital-based setting or in an office?
Also, did you get to talk and examine the patients?
Was this experience in a clinic? Because programs tend to garbage that kind of experience.
As far as I know, all these private services place us in small clinics. If we are lucky enough, we may get in to a good clinic. But none will be like the experience in a teaching hospital. and also it costs a lot.

Best thing is to personally contact near by community or university hospitals for an observership opportunity.
We did have patient contact and it was hands on experience. Now regarding whether you'll be in a hospital or clinic , for the most part it depends on the attending. My experience was a mixture of both and in one we were rotating with American medical students in a hospital setting. In another place I was in a clinic half the day and the hospital the next half. I think for primary care that shouldn't look to bad in the yes of a PD.

To be honest I don't know how easy it is to get this type of experience without going through some sort of agency, and I wouldn't say an observeship is superior since its lacking hands on. Either way the road is difficult my friends and its all about what you do not how you do it.
Don't get too excited .... programs don't think too highly of "agency assisted experience ".... but definately better than nothing I guess.
We can help if you need help finding a research position, contact at usresearchexp with details of what you’re looking for.

Thank you.
@ iowa- I'm curious as to how you came to this conclusion? I would think it is still considered hands on experience regardless. The avenue of attaining this "hands on" should be irrelevant. Wouldn't you think so...
Hi,
When were you notified the address of the physician . I am in a limbo and at start
date is monday and still do not know what will be the address.
Hi,

We have research positions available in different states and in different (sub)specialties which include cardiology, endocrinology, pulmonary, surgery, sleep medicine, and neurology. The states include PA, NY, IL, MI, MD and TX at this point. The majority of the positions are in universities, and some of them are in universities that are among the top 10 in the U.S. You can contact us for details.
If you're looking for a different state or (sub)specialty, we can help too. We just need you to be specific and help us understand what you’re looking for.

If interested, contact us at usresearchexp. Provide some brief info about yourself, your visa status, your USMLE scores, what (sub)specialty, which state, when you want to start and for how long.
In the subject, please mention what you’re looking for. For example: “Endocrine research in Chicago.”

Thank you.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »