• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
chances of getting matched....plzzzz do respond - swanya
i am img with a step 1 197
step 2 235
step 2 cs passed
all 1st attempt
YOG 2009
3 months of USCE
what are my chances of matching in IM/FM?
IM 43.5%
FM 59.7%
how did u calculate this iowa?

Many people on this forum tend to ask general questions like "what are my chances for this and that" Truth is, it depends on the specific program you are applying to.
Some put a lot of emphasis on scores, others on research and volunteer experience. Some usually prefer those who are local to the area.

So Iowas response is based on the stats from previous matches in general. No one would be able to give you an exact figure.
Your Step 1 score is below the US median for Family and IM applicants but your step 2 score is above that for family but is right up there with the rest of the IM applicants.. Your USCE will make you a more competitive applicant vs other IMGs. Since many programs do require that you have USCE.

I am pretty confident with your credentials that you will match somewhere, you just have to find the program that is suitable for you.
Thanks much peppino.By posting that question,I meant whether i have a chance of matching with this profile into IM/FM or I need any thing more?I am planning to give step 3 in september.Do you think that is goin to lift up my CV remarkably???
I was excited when iowa gave me such precise digits!!!
@swanya - i arrived at those figures while having a dos equis Smile

Step 3 may help, but i believe USCE has more value . What is your real interest in IM or FM. Whichever one it is, i suggest you focus the experience in that.
LMFAO hey Iowa give us a great line.

Plus nothing is guaranteed and taking your step 3 in September is too late to boost you up.
Well yes step 3 is going to help. Apart of the criteria when they evaluate candidates for residency is, among other things :

Will they be able to pass step 3 after first year residency? (most US students sit for it then)
Will they be able to pass the board exam for the specialty?

By passing step 3 and with a good score hopefully, you pretty much leave them with no doubts for the questions above.

iowa is right in that USCE is very valuable, again one of the criteria for residency is, can they interact with our patients, can they interact with other members of the team?
If you have good evaluations from the US attendings that too adds another check mark in the box for you.

Other things that can help is a good personal statement and volunteer or research experience that shows you are truly interested in the field that you are pursing.

iowa raises another good point, find out what your real interest is "IM or FM" and stick to that. Residency directors usually don't want a shot gun applicant, one who has applied to every single IM and FM residency on the map (including Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto rico LOL -j/k).
They want to make sure that you REALLY REALLY want to do FM or IM and that you are strongly considering their program. Not to say you should not apply to as many programs as possible, you should do whatever it takes to maximize your chances, but just keep that in mind when you apply and interview to certain programs to research them and when you speak to them, make them feel like they are your no.1 lol
Haha. Dos Equis
thank you iowa and peppino.i want to enter into primary care be it IM/FM.i am planning to do 2 months of usce but that will be in September and October.I am not sure whether that's goin to help me /not!!!But right now my focus is on step 3 as i want to finish it off before attending my interviews so that i can explain to the PDs that i did finish my step3 b4 match....
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »