Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
general info / advice? - travellers_wife_1985
Hi all!

sorry for the newbie questions. Sad I will be finishing medschool next year and moving to the US afterwards. So, i guess, the long USMLE road lies ahead of me. Sad My goal is to get into residency. Not 100% decided which one. Nothing out of the ordinary, no derm/ophto/ortho surg, something more like IM. How would the profis here approach it? Wink

I will be a recent grad... Wink)) with no US experience, on a visa. No research experience. so here are the questions:

1. which materials would you use to prepare for the steps? the less materials - the better. (but obviously will need a decent score on at least step 1). Is it true that programs filter the applications based on step1 score? Sad
2. observership vs. externship vs. research? which one is better for the residency application?
3. how many LORs do you need? (my understanding is that US ones would be preferred?)
4. what is the realistic time frame for the steps/LOR acquisition/residencly application if the goal is to match in 2014? I am an average student with decent english knowledge, who cannot devote more than 1/2 day to studies. I am familiar with MCQ concept.
5. any additional advisable interventions that could boost the CV?

Thanks a lot in advance! Any input will be greatly appreciated! Smile))
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »