• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
any chances? - bysc
my step 1-228
step 2-241
cs passed
all first attempts
but yog 2004 Sad
my chances in IM?
Well you are right up there with the competitive applicants.

I guess the only thing you got going against you is the YOG.

What about your LOR and USCE?
i have 4 US lors related to observership. does observership count USCE?
thanks peppino
have you applied before?
i think your profile is ok as long as you have current US clinical experience.
this is my first yr applying. people says taking step 3 is helpful and I'm planning to take in sep , so the result won't come out in time with sep 15 application.
the problem is many residency programs require 1-6 months USCE, Observerships do not count. But some programs will gladly look at your observerships make it count for something.

I can see you being a strong candidate for many programs though.

I think many programs have a 3-5 year limit for YOG, while others don't care. It also depends on how long you have been out of the loop.

Did you take any time off to do anything other than participate in medical research or practice or clinical clerkships? They probably will want to know what you have been doing since you graduated till now.
I practiced at my country but here in US, has observership only for more than a year.
I have green card.
shall i apply to the program with 5 yr limit? what do you think?
Well some people just do the shot gun approach and apply to every single program out there.

If money is an issue for you, then you can try and apply for programs that aren't too stringent with their YOG criteria.

Another thing is your observership might not count as USCE for some programs.
So just apply to the programs that will recognize your observership and don't care soo much for YOG.

You will find that there are many programs out there that you will qualify for for IM, so you should be ok, you have good scores and you are gonna get your LoR from US doctors.

As for your step 3, if you do take it in sept make sure you try to mention this to the programs. Now it might not make a difference for the interviews but the score will come out before it comes time for the rankings. And they definitely do factor that in when they rank applicants.

So all in all you are in good shape!
Do they look for passing score only? or high score in step 3?
The higher the better. One way they try to evaluate you is if you are able to pass the ABIM exam at the end of residency. So a higher Step 3 score gives them more confidence in you being able to pass the Specialty board exam.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »