• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my chances?? - overcome

US Citizen
YOG: 2007
step1: 76
step2:78
cs: 2 attempts (pass)
couple of us clinical observerships with LORs
currently working as medical assisstant..

any advices on what would be the suitable programme for me to apply

i wud be really grateful!!

thank you so much
:-(
oh sorry to see the sad face. But you shall overcome! Wink

well the one advantage you have is that you are a US citizen. Another advantage is that oyu have US clinical observerships.

Your step scores are kinda border line. and it also depends on when you sat for the exam. Keep in mind the passing grade has been raised for both Step 1 and CK. This should NOT negate your score.
However, one thing to keep in mind many program directors now set their filters based on the 3 digit scores which today a pass is 188 step 1 and 196 CK. The other red flag you have is the 2 attempts on passing CS.
But that shouldn't stop you from applying.

You have a chance at many Family and internal community hospitals. also if you really don't care for the specialty, I would suggest looking into Physical and Rehabilitation medicine, this field is not really all that competitive and I have known of many who failed their boards and gotten in.

peppino..thank you so much..yah i'm aware that i dont ve much chances in IM but good thing is i do ve interest in FM .i've applied in FM before ...i hardly got any interviews..almost 0....
well i'm afraid the history might repeat..

havent heard about physical/rehab medicine...thank you for the info
anyone else?>
pepp has pretty much said it all...... since you want more input... give us more info
-3 digit score (as programs do not see your 2 digit score anymore)
-is your current experience & obsie experience in FM?
192/196 for step1/ck respectively

i'm working in urgent care as assisstant to physicians..they're willing to write me general LORs..I dont ve any FM specific LORs...I just ve couple of IM lors from last year which i dont think might be of any use this time..

i also dont know how i sud mention the urgent care experience in my common app form?

Try to get at least 1 FM specific letter from a FM obsie (or even better hands on clinical exp.) FM programs look for genuine interest. Being a US citz is good for you, because there are many FM programs that only take citizens/GC.
As you probably know, IM is a tall order.
iowa...do u think urgent care experience will count as good us hands on experience? i'm vouching for that...

i applied in few family med programs last year ..dint get any call

wt do u ve to say about peds and pscych???

i've no clue wt i'm gonna do this year

ur further advices will be valued..thanku
i'm sorry for the error ...i mean i'm counting on my Urgent care experience...hoping the FM ppl will see that as a good exp
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »