Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My chances of matching - sarora
I need some insight on how to move on from here and whether it'd be a waste of time and funds on applying for IM this year and if I should dedicate a year to improve my cv

YOG =2009
step 1 score 228
step 2 score 236
step 2 cs not taken yet
No USCE
GC

I'm planning on taking cs in a few months and just would look some insight on whether my cred's are good enough for IM despite the complete lack of clinical experience, and if you believe that this might be challenging for me considering that there maybe way more competitive applicants ahead of me, then would you just guide me through of how to proceed on from here. If I try dedicating my time and effort in gaining as much USCE as possible until next year do you believe that would be in my favor or do you think it may somehow play against me since I'm just adding another year to the no. of years I've been away from school and may somehow just lessen my chances of getting matched?
Thanx in advance for all you responses.
1,ck scores are good...... would have been nice if you had CS because step 1 and CS are one of the main components looked at.
if you can afford, apply to a few this coming match just to have the experience, you learn a lot and hey you never know.... you can get called for IVs and then the ball is in your court and you have a shot.
As you prepare for CS, also look into getting good USCE, it's importance cannot be underestimated.
@ sarora. Congrats on the great ck score. Im in a similar situation, confused whether i shud apply this year or wait, get some USCE and apply next yr. Can u tell me will u get lors from your home country to apply if u plan on applying this yr?
@iowa,

I have my step 1 & CS scores with me & not CK.. I am taking my CK in Aug, & as you know the score are delayed for Aug test takers.

May I know from what source you are telling us that step 1 & Cs are looked mainly by the PDs

This will be of great help...

please do reply

my source ... : "from the forum"..... read through previous posts (based on topic of search), you will learn a lot..... please do not take what i post as the rule.... feel free to act based on your best judgement... i merely offer advice (for what it is worth).

btw, my friend pre-matched in 2011 in IM with just 1 and CS but had to pass CK before ROL day (some time in feb)... so there you go Smile
It never looks good to be a repeat applicant dude for many reasons.
that's a good point... but i guess many repeat applicants do match too (as long as their profiles have improved)
@ iowa... can PD's find out if anyone is a repeat applicant and does it affect chances?
i believe they do get to know that you are a repeat applicant,,,,
now in terms of affecting chances, i cannot say, because if your application has improved (for example, current US clinical experience)- then they will see a strong application and so should assess that positively in my opinion.
thanx iowa will follow your advice and I'll try looking for an externship in the meantime as that seems to be more preferable by PD's than observership but I'm a bit concerned about the least length of externship that should be undertaken which may possibly be taken into account by most programs. Once again thank u

@sophiya: thanx but as far as I know, most programs care any less about our experience back at our home country which makes home lor's entirely worthless and disregarded by most PD's.
But as iowa replied above, there is no harm in applying but we still should be realistic in terms of our chances and I do acknowledge the importance of USCE which seems to be more of a condition for most programs to even consider an individual's application. I'll just try my best to land with an externship though I doubt I'll find one any time sooner and just see what happens from there.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »