Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my chances - sirisha2k3
hi iowa and peppino im an img yog 2009 dec my step 1 score is 203 on third attempt and step 2 225 on second attempt and cs passed 1st attempt, i have im doing observership near a obg/gyn and a pediatrician since a month , im really interested in peds but i also will apply to fm and med-peds wat are my chances to get into residency please help me i really hav no idea about this system, please suggest me to improve my chances to get into residency. thank you
frankly, your current chances of getting interviews are below 50%
the only way to to improve is get quality US clinical experience - LORs
once you get an interview then you can prove yourself and secure that spot.
i suggest fm btw (if you don't need visa)
pepp will give you a better explanation (or read pepp's previous detailed postings)
lol thank you iowa for the honorable mention

Hey sirisha,
Many programs will heavily scrutinize multiple fails on the USMLE. One fail can be over looked, but you have to be able to come up with an explanation for your failed attempts at step 1 and step 2. This explanation MUST be included under the 'other' section in your ERAS, otherwise programs are left to guess as to why you did not pass and usually their 'guesses' are never in the students favor.

As iowa said your chances of improving are to get some SOLID USCE.
Peds and family have been getting more and more competitive these years. Your best is to focus on Family.

Do you need a Visa? also having step 3 might help boost your application.
thank you iowa and peppino im on H4 currently and im also preparing for step3 planning to giv it in oct 1st or second wk probably dint book the dates yet. will my score get updated automatically after my results are out? or should i update it? and can i add more lor's by end of october to my application?
Ok here is what you should do.

In ERAS there is an option to send the USMLE transcripts under documents. Under that Tab there are two check marks. One allowing them to send the Transcripts and another one underneath it that allows them to send them again as the scores become available. So make sure both boxes are checked off.
ok thank you peppino wat about the lor's can i add more of them latter after sept 15th also?
yes. BUT once you have applied to a program and assigned it LORs you wont be able to change that.

So what you can do is once you have agreed with your referee to send your LOR and you have their information on ERAS, you can just assign that LOR to the particular program and they will just get it once int arrives.
ok thanks alot peppino and iowa both of u helped me a lot:-) all the very best to both of u, im sure both of u will succeed in this process of getting into residency.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »