Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
this is unbelievable - bajaj_patel
Please!!!! I interviewed at some top IM programs. My credentials are 99 , 99 I'm from India. What I found during my interviews is that the PD's now prefer to take IMG from latin america with lower scores than us. I do not know why they are doing that if we work hard in India to have the chance to come to the USA and we got the best scores. Iit is not fair that they are taking latin americans with lowers scores than us.
Anyboby knows why is that happening?
I doubt about your such allegations............... there must be other factors affecting their decision.......... USCE, US LOR, INS issues, etc.... we all know very well that scores are important to get you good numbers of interviews from good programs; but what matters during selection of candidate is not just barely based on scores....... your interview performance, your year of graduation, your USCE, your LORs, your INS status, etc. will be deciding factors..........

good luck....
ditto...
i was going to say the same thing 2bhappy has said...

scores are NOT everything
ans contacts ARE everyting
I think do to the groing spanish speaking comunnity there is a slight advantage,
but only where it is essential
freddy,

spanish is second most common language in USA........ you will find latin population in each and every state of USA.... I agree with you that in states with considerable population of spanish speaking people, it is advantageous to have candidate who is fluent in spanish... but each and every hospital has interpreter services.... I dont think knowing spanish will add a big difference to your overall outcome...
well US will suffer,,
,, now the china is emerging as a superpower so as the salaries,, and day will come when south asian superbrains yes man superbrains will prefer China,,.. This will affect not only the field of medicine but all the other fields. we'l see. Even today u can get all the luxury of US in china.
There are universities older than harvard and better in some fields but it's the US dominancy that made harvard to shine compared to china. Like in old days Oxford use to shine better while the british use to rule most part of the world. After decade or so/ sooner the china will share the charm that us has today. So US if u want best product do play fair with us..,,
Well about the observation etc. of 1-3 months is good but to decide on it's basis as a whole is a bullshittttt as u know u can learn those things in first couple of months of residency ,,, it's not like doing obser is a PHD. Becuase in long run it's the hard work and the I.Q. (oh ya I.Q. that makes a big difference),, that will lift the field of medicine and the pt.s care.,,, Yes there are AMG with less than 70% of your talent/IQ ,,, ofcourse they have to have some advantage over us as they are locals,, but it's looks so funny when they brag with their 70% IQ. (of course there are some AMG genius,,i meant those who lies in bottom of their class)..
by the way by making sure that all the AMG will get the residency make them lazy and less competent as they are sure to get matched ,,, so the standard of care will obviously go down.
BTW... I realise after giving couple of interviews that US doc,, think that asian hospitals are in stone age so as the graduates from most part,,, I think they should take a visit to Asia and will get surprised how competitive they are. I doubt they can get into some good gov. PG program in Asia ,, i doubt.
I have to agree that the luxury you see in US can now be seen across many Asian countries. Regarding Spanish.....its predicted that by 2030-2050 there will be more spanish speakers than english speakers in the US and its expected that the first Spanish Presidents to be elected by then when a majority of the population becomes spanish speakers!
It will be very late in our lifetime that we will start seeing Asia as the new focus of the world, stealing the thinder from the Westerners but I do wait for the day when it does happen.
Asia cannot be a superforce cos it is a whole continent,please be specific CHINA(cos they are working hard towards that),it is a tall dream to say asia,even with america being in the spotlight,it is only North America(USA) and not all American continent.I think their policy that removes merit and encourage hand out in the name of citizenship and permanent resident(no offense meant),which make sense somehow,(you gonna care for your citizens b4 they become like UK doctors),is taking them away from the comfort zone of being the only SUPERFORCE.
Dear Dr Patel:
I was astonished when I read your communication. I agree with some people in this forum in regard of the USMLE scores are not all in the selection process. It is true that they help to get good interviews but the time of the truth is the interview itself. I am a graduated from Peru, my scores are 99,99, when I went to an interview at Mayo Clinic in Rochester two thing were told to me. First one of the program heads told me that they do not care anymore about scores because it is become so common especially for graduates from india to get those scores and that is why they are looking fro somethin else. We peruvians have an adventage in getting interviews at Mayo clinic because one of the heads of the program is from Peru. In spite of that when I spoke ith one of the chief residents he told me that they are takin this year two candidates from Peru, and for my surprise I am not gonna be one of them. The ones they are taking have lower scores in the USMLE than I but they proficiency in the interview was what decided them election.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »