Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE UNBELIEVABLE USMLEs - lithium
I visit this forum often, as I want to go in for Match 2007.

All I hear is SCORES and their growing importance.

My own scores: bloody crap. The scores of the people I kept teaching and explaining medicine to, my entire life: stellar.

I don't understand. What is the secret behind the covetted 99? I am better than every colleague of mine who supposedly stole the show. And honestly, I hate the thought of being labelled "dumb", because I couldn't make it to a 99! Why are people in lower 90s or higher 80s undervalued? Why don't they realize....every 99 ain't an Eistein and every 89 ain't a cretin.

I feel so lost. I wish things were a bit fairer.
Hey lithium:
I was exactly like you last year. Thhis forum was my only source of information and according to my scores (high 80's) I was feeling nothing among those 99 scorers until I applied to the match and went through the exp. by myself which is totally different than this forum. Visiting this forum reguraly will keep you in the "score delusion". Just go through the exp by yourself next year...How can you explain that an applicant with high 80's scores and USCE got 33 interview calls, got 4 prematch offers and getting responses from about 80% of my programs and 20% of really positive responses...PDs arent like people in this forum, they really consider USMLE scores "ONE FACTOR", so please dont never ever underestimate yourself amongthe 99 scorers and u will make it to your first choice...good luck
Hi! I think USMLE scores is a big factor in screening applicants but the interview process is a different ballgame already.. My scores are step 1 87, step 2 96, certified, no USCE, US LOR'sand I need visa. I got 12 interviews and 2 prematch offers which i eventually took.

Its better to have high scores (of course) but its not the only thing the whole package matters most (LOR's even if its not coming from a US doctors, just make sure its not generic I believe that they are looking for certain words and phrases on it), Outstanding Personal statement (all of my interviews they mentioned to me that they were impressed with my PS),
and of course your actual interview! You should be confident (but not too much) at the same time you can convey your messsage very well!
Totally agree with you trevor25. It is the whole package, congratulation for the prematch and good luck..
My scores are 85/82, old graduate, got 13 interviews, and I can tell you I am smarter, with better potentials than a lot of gus with 99/99, plus my English even with an accent is very good understandable, you have to know what I would like to tell you.
Dont worry, my friends scores were 82 85-pass IMG H1 required, no step3 till now........

He got 11 interviews 2 prematch..........He worked in good hospitals had few papers and excellent interviewing skills......

He is going for match because he thinks he will get in better program......

Only scores does NOT matter.......

GL
Hey Lithium,
Belive me scores are not everything that matters. U will understand that as u go through ur IVs. I have very high scores but i fill that wat u need is a USCE + Reserch + USLOR + a good Interpersonal skilla and personality. If u hav all that than u will shine anywhere even if ur score r in mid 80s. So dont worry u wil be fine. Gd luck bye
ver nicely buck up, you guys have really thrown lights on important aspects of requirement to be matched, you all deserve special thanks.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »